Red Claw Crab? Important

Discussion in 'Brackish Fish' started by 2211Nighthawk, Apr 21, 2018.

1. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

debating getting into beackish, and now someone has a red claw card for 10$ and I have all the tank equipment. If I go off of 1-2 tbsp of marine salt per gallon, and keep VERY close track of it, do I need to worry about getting a full saltwater test kit? I have the API freshwater. And, is a 5g big enough for a single crab?

@Nart

2. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

AND do I need a heater. Room temp water sits at 72/73.

3. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

IMO, I would try to aim for a 10g min, better yet with a 20g long. Crabs dont swim around like fish, and they only have as much floorspace as you can offer - the tank. Maximising the floorspace is the best way to go.

The test kit should be fine, especially if you keep it on the low end of the brackish range.

Heating would be a good idea, not only does it help control the environment - reduce extreme fluctuations - but also helps with humdity. IMO, I'd try and aim for temps around 75F, maybe a max around 77F or so. But definently higher than 72F....

4. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

What about a shallow bowl of brackish water so that he’s got more land. I do kinda want to help this guy (colourful gravel so we can all assume fresh water) but super limited on space.

5. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

They prefer having a large amount of surface area, and from my understanding a lot more aquatic than terrestrial. A 10g isnt big at all, and not that expensive and doing so can offer this guy plenty of room to grow.

Remember they wild animals, and prefer to behave as such. Cramming one into a shoebox isn't exactly giving the best of life IMO.... but thats me.

6. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

Ha! My parents are gonna kill me with this zoo I’m building. If I can find a place to put that 10, I just might go for it. How much land to water would you suggest? 40/60 land to water?

7. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Each crab is different. I personally would suggest doing 50:50, see where it spends a majority of its time and accomodate.

I would also consider using small plastic containers and creating levels to help increase floorspace/ water volume wherever possible as well!

A 10g will only be around 5ish gallons full... but talk things with your parents, so you both can enjoy these amazing creatures without arguments.

8. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

I have my own place, it’s the variety that’s gonna drive them nuts. (They’re also my landlords so it complicates things a little) I’ve got 2 cats, 2 land snails that are gonna need a 20gL just for them, probably close to 30 fish in 3 tanks, the largest being a 65g and now I want to get a crab. The loop hole is that they said no more *fish* course if I have to buy bottled water for the crab I can also skip the water bill loophole.

9. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

While it may sound better to pull tye wool over their eyes... they are the landlords and need to be respected. As hard as it may be, asking them if its ok would be the best choice to ensure everyone is happy.

In saying that, storage totes work well and could easily be concealed....

10. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

You’re not helping. :p in honest, my parents (cough mom) love animals (dad thinks I’m nuts about my *choices*) it’s the cost of housing them that they twitch about. Water bill being the main thing. But I’ll be buying the water so it’s good in that sence.

11. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

Got ‘em. :D

Oh my word s/he’s SO cute even my sister loves ‘em!
    FAFDEB1C-92B0-45F1-83EC-628F90ED82EB.jpeg

Now I just have to transition him over to brackish.

12. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

So cute!

I'd get a hydrometer so you can at least check the salinity of the water. They're not too expensive.

13. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

Not around here they ain’t... my plan is that I have the water level marked (8L) so I can keep track of how much salt is in there/ how much I’ve taken out. Something like adding a bit every water change untill I’m at the level that I need to be. (Aiming for 1.5 tbsps per gallon. I’ll do the math tomorrow.)

Any ideas if it’s a male or female?

14. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I'd really try to get a hydrometer. Your way still leaves room for error. Maybe you can get one cheaper online, or find someone selling one used. Or if you're close to the border, get one from the US :)

15. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

I’ll try and track one down. Every now and then they show up used online.

16. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

So I just did a quick kijiji search on hydrometera and I got wine making kits. Do they seriously use the same thing?

17. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Well, that was quick. You didn’t even let 24hrs go by. Lol. Good luck with the new guy.

I was going to suggest a Leopard crab. They’re freshwater and fully aquatic.

18. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Check out Instant Ocean; they’re cheap, and reliable if you use it correctly. It’s what I would have bought when I was considering raising my Amano shrimp larvae.

19. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

the salt? I’ll keep it in mind.

20. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I meant the brand of hydrometer. It does sell salt and saltwater too, so I get the confusion.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice