Red Claw Crab With Fiddler Crab?

Kohlt22

Reaction score
Are these crabs friendly with fiddlers? I had some land, but my fiddlers prefer my under water dry space instead and never come out. I really want to make a diy sandy area above the surface of the aquarium but only if it will be used.

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They both like the dry land area and it should be included in your system. You could keep red claws and fiddlers together, but I would do the same male to female ratio as if they were just one species in their. Also be familiar with that most pet stores keep their golden claws in with the fiddlers and red claws, and they often sell the gold claws thinking they are male when in fact all gold claws of both genders have larger claws.

Kohlt22

Reaction score
DutchAquarium said:
They both like the dry land area and it should be included in your system. You could keep red claws and fiddlers together, but I would do the same male to female ratio as if they were just one species in their. Also be familiar with that most pet stores keep their golden claws in with the fiddlers and red claws, and they often sell the gold claws thinking they are male when in fact all gold claws of both genders have larger claws.
I have 2 males and 3 female fiddlers, I'm building another land surface above my aquarium with hopes that the reds will actually use it. My fiddlers only ever use my under water dry zone.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I personally wouldn't. Even though they occupy the same space, each species have different behaviours and aggression levels, which could result in one species not doing as well due to competition....

Why not just set up a seperate tank?

Kohlt22

Reaction score
aussieJJDude said:
I personally wouldn't. Even though they occupy the same space, each species have different behaviours and aggression levels, which could result in one species not doing as well due to competition....

Why not just set up a seperate tank?
That's actually what I am in the process of doing. I went and temporarily placed them in my brackish tank with an out of water area until I can get their own aquarium this weekend. They will have a new 55 gallon home to explore, I might even try to grow some plants in there since it won't have near as much water.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom