Red Claw Crab Tank setup correctly?

Princethepurplebetta

HI guys. I just took in my friends red claw crabs. I upgraded them from a 2.5gallon to a 10 gallon and was wondering if I set it up correctly. The only thing its missing atm (buying saturday) is a light and heater.

Tank:
Size - 10gallons
Substrate - fine sand
Filter - GreatChoice internal 10/20 gallon
Heater - buying saturday
Plants - 1 live moss ball, 3 fake plants
Stocking - 1 male 1 female red claw crab

20190124_114203.jpg
20190124_114142.jpg

Ipman37

Is the water brackish?

richiep

The one you need here is TheDarkAbyss I'll give him a shout

Princethepurplebetta

Is the water brackish?
Yes, I heard brackish is better for them. They were being kept in tap water before I got them.

TheDarkAbyss

I woulf like to see quality photos of the crabs before confirming that they are red claw crabs.

Ipman37

Salinity should be around 1.005,Temp should be around 72-82 F degrees,Ph around 7,5-8,5 there a omnivore so bloodworms and veggies like leafy greens, peas and spinach.and they’ll eat regular fish food,algae pellets and commercial crab foods like Crab Cuisine

Princethepurplebetta

I woulf like to see quality photos of the crabs before confirming that they are red claw crabs.
Best photos I can get of the female, male is hiding

20190124_142329.jpg
20190124_142313.jpg

TheDarkAbyss

Best photos I can get of the female, male is hiding

20190124_142329.jpg
20190124_142313.jpg
I can safely say that these are indeed red claw crabs, and I would go along with what Ipman37 has recommended, though you can go up to 1.010 without much problems. They also like more meat than veggies in their diet so offer the occasional fish meat alongside Hikari's Algae Wafers for calcium intake. Also have a cuttlebone or a calcium block that is easily accessible to them if they ever feel like needing more calcium. I would also recommend that you put a tight fitting lid if there's any way that the crabs could climb on, they are amazing escape artists...

Princethepurplebetta

I can safely say that these are indeed red claw crabs, and I would go along with what Ipman37 has recommended, though you can go up to 1.010 without much problems. They also like more meat than veggies in their diet so offer the occasional fish meat alongside Hikari's Algae Wafers for calcium intake. Also have a cuttlebone or a calcium block that is easily accessible to them if they ever feel like needing more calcium. I would also recommend that you put a tight fitting lid if there's any way that the crabs could climb on, they are amazing escape artists...

I have the hikarI crab pellets and blood worms so far. Ill get a cuttle bone saturday for them I have a reptile lid for the cover with a book ontop.
Do they need any kind of uvb? Or will a normal fish tank light work?

TheDarkAbyss

I have the hikarI crab pellets and blood worms so far. Ill get a cuttle bone saturday for them I have a reptile lid for the cover with a book ontop.
Do they need any kind of uvb? Or will a normal fish tank light work?
UVB is in my experience counter-intuitive with most crabs, including these so I wouldn't get one. A heating mat will do if temperatures drop below 62 degrees Fahrenheit. In fact, I recommend muting or weakening lights a bit so that the crabs are less scared to move out and about

lovethebeach329

My daughter just got a red claw crab tonight from PetSmart. They said he's a freshwater, but after some research sounds like he'd prefer brackish water better. He's in a 10 gallon freshwater tank currently. How do I transition him to brackish water? From reading different articles it sounds like I want the end result to be around .005 - 1.008. But I'm assuming I need to transition to that slowly and not all at once?

Princethepurplebetta

My daughter just got a red claw crab tonight from PetSmart. They said he's a freshwater, but after some research sounds like he'd prefer brackish water better. He's in a 10 gallon freshwater tank currently. How do I transition him to brackish water? From reading different articles it sounds like I want the end result to be around .005 - 1.008. But I'm assuming I need to transition to that slowly and not all at once?
I used instant ocean and slowly put it in his water. Also make sure yours has a way to get out of the water for air

Dch48

They are nocturnal by nature so don't like bright light. My guy has no light or heater because the temp never goes below 70, There also is no filter but I had been changing out about 90% of the water every day because there were nitrites showing. Now it seems to have cycled. It's only an 11 X 7 inch clear storage container but he has dry land, a cave to hide in, and a lava rock to climb on. The water is only about 1 inch deep but they come from shallow water areas. I'll probably get him a larger container soon. He's a little less than 2 inches across including the leg span. I purposely got one of the smaller ones because I figured they were younger.

He came from PetSmart too and was in fresh water. I started him out in water that was about 1.0025 salinity and gradually increased it to 1.005 ( 2 tablespoons of Instant Ocean in a gallon of distilled water with some shrimp mineralizer also thrown in). He molted once so far and retained his claws and all his legs so he's doing well. He likes peas and as a treat, blueberries. He also gets bloodworms and fresh fish once in a while. I have read that in the wild they feed mostly on vegetable matter and that too much protein can cause problems with molting so mine gets mostly peas, flowery tops of broccoli, softened veggie wafers, the occasional piece of blueberry, broken up Crab Cuisine pellets, and about once a week, some bloodworms and fish. He will only eat pellets and wafers if they have been in the water long enough to get soft. If they are hard, he will pick at them for a minute or so and then move on.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Princethepurplebetta
Replies
Views
TheDarkAbyss
Replies
Views
Clmirabilio100106
Replies
Views