Red Claw Crab salt levels and tank size?

2211Nighthawk

debating getting into beackish, and now someone has a red claw card for 10$ and I have all the tank equipment. If I go off of 1-2 tbsp of marine salt per gallon, and keep VERY close track of it, do I need to worry about getting a full saltwater test kit? I have the API freshwater. And, is a 5 gallon big enough for a single crab?

Nart

2211Nighthawk

AND do I need a heater. Room temp water sits at 72/73.

aussieJJDude

IMO, I would try to aI'm for a 10 gallon min, better yet with a 20 gallon long. Crabs don't swim around like fish, and they only have as much floorspace as you can offer - the tank. Maximising the floorspace is the best way to go.

The test kit should be fine, especially if you keep it on the low end of the brackish range.

Heating would be a good idea, not only does it help control the environment - reduce extreme fluctuations - but also helps with humdity. IMO, I'd try and aI'm for temps around 75F, maybe a max around 77F or so. But definently higher than 72F....

2211Nighthawk

IMO, I would try to aI'm for a 10 gallon min, better yet with a 20 gallon long. Crabs don't swim around like fish, and they only have as much floorspace as you can offer - the tank. Maximising the floorspace is the best way to go.

The test kit should be fine, especially if you keep it on the low end of the brackish range.

Heating would be a good idea, not only does it help control the environment - reduce extreme fluctuations - but also helps with humdity. IMO, I'd try and aI'm for temps around 75F, maybe a max around 77F or so. But definently higher than 72F....
What about a shallow bowl of brackish water so that he’s got more land. I do kinda want to help this guy (colourful gravel so we can all assume fresh water) but super limited on space.

aussieJJDude

They prefer having a large amount of surface area, and from my understanding a lot more aquatic than terrestrial. A 10 gallon isn't big at all, and not that expensive and doing so can offer this guy plenty of room to grow.

Remember they wild animals, and prefer to behave as such. Cramming one into a shoebox isn't exactly giving the best of life IMO.... but that's me.

2211Nighthawk

They prefer having a large amount of surface area, and from my understanding a lot more aquatic than terrestrial. A 10 gallon isn't big at all, and not that expensive and doing so can offer this guy plenty of room to grow.

Remember they wild animals, and prefer to behave as such. Cramming one into a shoebox isn't exactly giving the best of life IMO.... but that's me.
Ha! My parents are gonna kill me with this zoo I’m building. If I can find a place to put that 10, I just might go for it. How much land to water would you suggest? 40/60 land to water?

aussieJJDude

Ha! My parents are gonna kill me with this zoo I’m building. If I can find a place to put that 10, I just might go for it. How much land to water would you suggest? 40/60 land to water?
Each crab is different. I personally would suggest doing 50:50, see where it spends a majority of its time and accomodate.

I would also consider using small plastic containers and creating levels to help increase floorspace/ water volume wherever possible as well!

A 10 gallon will only be around 5ish gallons full... but talk things with your parents, so you both can enjoy these amazing creatures without arguments.

2211Nighthawk

Each crab is different. I personally would suggest doing 50:50, see where it spends a majority of its time and accomodate.

I would also consider using small plastic containers and creating levels to help increase floorspace/ water volume wherever possible as well!

A 10 gallon will only be around 5ish gallons full... but talk things with your parents, so you both can enjoy these amazing creatures without arguments.
I have my own place, it’s the variety that’s gonna drive them nuts. (They’re also my landlords so it complicates things a little) I’ve got 2 cats, 2 land snails that are gonna need a 20gL just for them, probably close to 30 fish in 3 tanks, the largest being a 65g and now I want to get a crab. The loop hole is that they said no more *fish* course if I have to buy bottled water for the crab I can also skip the water bill loophole.

aussieJJDude

While it may sound better to pull tye wool over their eyes... they are the landlords and need to be respected. As hard as it may be, asking them if its ok would be the best choice to ensure everyone is happy.

In saying that, storage totes work well and could easily be concealed....

2211Nighthawk

While it may sound better to pull tye wool over their eyes... they are the landlords and need to be respected. As hard as it may be, asking them if its ok would be the best choice to ensure everyone is happy.

In saying that, storage totes work well and could easily be concealed....
You’re not helping. in honest, my parents (cough mom) love animals (dad thinks I’m nuts about my *choices*) it’s the cost of housing them that they twitch about. Water bill being the main thing. But I’ll be buying the water so it’s good in that sence.

2211Nighthawk

Got ‘em.

Oh my word s/he’s SO cute even my sister loves ‘em!

FAFDEB1C-92B0-45F1-83EC-628F90ED82EB.jpeg

Now I just have to transition him over to brackish.

TexasDomer

So cute!

I'd get a hydrometer so you can at least check the salinity of the water. They're not too expensive.

2211Nighthawk

So cute!

I'd get a hydrometer so you can at least check the salinity of the water. They're not too expensive.
Not around here they ain’t... my plan is that I have the water level marked (8L) so I can keep track of how much salt is in there/ how much I’ve taken out. Something like adding a bit every water change until I’m at the level that I need to be. (Aiming for 1.5 tbsps per gallon. I’ll do the math tomorrow.)

Any ideas if it’s a male or female?

TexasDomer

I'd really try to get a hydrometer. Your way still leaves room for error. Maybe you can get one cheaper online, or find someone selling one used. Or if you're close to the border, get one from the US

2211Nighthawk

I'd really try to get a hydrometer. Your way still leaves room for error. Maybe you can get one cheaper online, or find someone selling one used. Or if you're close to the border, get one from the US
I’ll try and track one down. Every now and then they show up used online.

2211Nighthawk

So I just did a quick kijijI search on hydrometera and I got wine making kits. Do they seriously use the same thing?

goldface

Well, that was quick. You didn’t even let 24hrs go by. Lol. Good luck with the new guy.

I was going to suggest a Leopard crab. They’re freshwater and fully aquatic.

goldface

So I just did a quick kijijI search on hydrometera and I got wine making kits. Do they seriously use the same thing?
Check out Instant Ocean; they’re cheap, and reliable if you use it correctly. It’s what I would have bought when I was considering raising my Amano shrimp larvae.

2211Nighthawk

Check out Instant Ocean; they’re cheap, and reliable if you use it correctly. It’s what I would have bought when I was considering raising my Amano shrimp larvae.
the salt? I’ll keep it in mind.

goldface

the salt? I’ll keep it in mind.
I meant the brand of hydrometer. It does sell salt and saltwater too, so I get the confusion.

TexasDomer

They might use the same thing, I'm not sure. Is it a refractometer?

aussieJJDude

Sexing crabs is easy. Look at the underside, females will have a large squarish tail - it folds up under the abdomen - while males are triangular in shape. If you get a good pic of it, I'll be able to help ID the sex.

Congrats on the new addition btw!

2211Nighthawk

They might use the same thing, I'm not sure. Is it a refractometer?

It said hydrometer (how ever you spell it) same thing you said. I know (maybe) that there are two different ways of checking salt levels and one is really inaccurate.

Sexing crabs is easy. Look at the underside, females will have a large squarish tail - it folds up under the abdomen - while males are triangular in shape. If you get a good pic of it, I'll be able to help ID the sex.

Congrats on the new addition btw!
How do I flip her/hI'm over with out getting pinched. I’ve aready held it a few times, and WOW those are sharp toes! I have no desire to get grabbed. (Been there done that with crayfish but I have no idea how to pick up a crab)

aussieJJDude

Refractometer is a lot more accurate. If you can, splurge on that... save you in the long run IMO.

As for holding the crab, there's a few different ways. Ill just Google this... or using a clear plastic container and trap him in there - chase him with a net or something? - and then take a photo underneath....

2211Nighthawk

Refractometer is a lot more accurate. If you can, splurge on that... save you in the long run IMO.

As for holding the crab, there's a few different ways. Ill just Google this... or using a clear plastic container and trap him in there - chase him with a net or something? - and then take a photo underneath....
I am so gonna get grabbed... eh, that’s what you get for playing with sharp objects.

47C206CD-9D4C-4217-B045-740D2AD77282.png

aussieJJDude

IMO, looks like a young female to me. The abdomen of males tend to be a little smaller/skinner....
Great photo btw. What phone do you use for such a clear pic?

2211Nighthawk

IMO, looks like a young female to me. The abdomen of males tend to be a little smaller/skinner....
Great photo btw. What phone do you use for such a clear pic?
I needed some more girls in my place. I’m vastly outnumbered by boys.

iPhone 6s...? for a cell camera, I'm quite happy how they turn out. I’ve gotten some good ones with it.

aussieJJDude

Wow, that's a really good shot for 6s! I thought it was the new x or something, its so clear!

2211Nighthawk

Ok, NOW I think it looks good. Now I’m happy. Never gonna see Rosie again. There’s a cave where the terra cotta rI'm is.

Fake plants, real wood.
(Still haven’t been pinched!)

5D6E9CC2-BCAA-4F2E-81BF-F1A87B6713AB.png

5610161D-8E3E-4452-8ED5-D9DC60F6713F.png

Lorekeeper

Do you have your hydrometer yet? If not, I'd definitely go for the refractometer, if possible. They're like $20 on Ebay, and will save you a LOT of trouble.

My hydrometer reads my tank at 1.028. My refractometer reads my tank at 1.0243, and so does my LFS's refractometer (with a small margin of error). That .004 can be HUGE in any tank, brackish or saltwater. Not sure how salt sensitive these crabs are, but an accidental leap in salinity can dehydrate and kill any creature.

If you do have to go with a hydrometer, use the most level spot in your house to measure the water. In between uses, keep it filled with freshwater, so there's no salt buildup.

goldface

That looks quite good. Now it makes me want to set up a paludarium or vivarium.

2211Nighthawk

Do you have your hydrometer yet? If not, I'd definitely go for the refractometer, if possible. They're like $20 on Ebay, and will save you a LOT of trouble.

My hydrometer reads my tank at 1.028. My refractometer reads my tank at 1.0243, and so does my LFS's refractometer (with a small margin of error). That .004 can be HUGE in any tank, brackish or saltwater. Not sure how salt sensitive these crabs are, but an accidental leap in salinity can dehydrate and kill any creature.

If you do have to go with a hydrometer, use the most level spot in your house to measure the water. In between uses, keep it filled with freshwater, so there's no salt buildup.
Haven’t yet. Problem is, eBay may be cheap but shipping to Canada is stupid for the price. There’s a guy I want to hunt down that has salt water, he might have a refractometer I can buy off of him.

That looks quite good. Now it makes me want to set up a paludarium or vivarium.
It’s a great staller for doing the dishes. spent four hours messing with that instead of the mountain of dishes I have...

Lorekeeper

Oo, didn't check your location! That's rough.

If your guy falls through, you might check online dealers like LiveAquaria (or any Canadian equivalents) that might ship them for cheap.

Nice tank, btw!

2211Nighthawk

If your guy falls through, you might check online dealers like LiveAquaria (or any Canadian equivalents) that might ship them for cheap.

Nice tank, btw!
Thank you.

He’s the boss’s kid at my local petstore. My dad thinks we should hook up.

2211Nighthawk

Nice tank, btw!
Ok! Found a salt one! All the refractometer searches on eBay Canada was sugar in beer...

2211Nighthawk

Is that the right kind?

TexasDomer

I'm not sure there are differences between the sugar and the salt ones - a refractometer measures the specific gravity of whatever liquid you put on it - beer, water, urine (yes, I've used them with urine), it shouldn't matter.

But yes, that one looks right!

Lorekeeper

Pretty sure that's the same one I've got, or at least pretty similar.

The ones made for beer might read a higher range, so be sure to research before you buy.

2211Nighthawk

I'm not sure there are differences between the sugar and the salt ones - a refractometer measures the specific gravity of whatever liquid you put on it - beer, water, urine (yes, I've used them with urine), it shouldn't matter.

But yes, that one looks right!
Good. Gonna grab it before I can second guess this insanity that’s my first jump into the dark side of salt water. One day... one day... I will have full marine.

2211Nighthawk

Pretty sure that's the same one I've got, or at least pretty similar.

The ones made for beer might read a higher range, so be sure to research before you buy.
It did say salt for aquarium. Here’s hoping.

Lorekeeper

Good. Gonna grab it before I can second guess this insanity that’s my first jump into the dark side of salt water. One day... one day... I will have full marine.
It's a ton of fun! Not as hard or expensive as people make it out to be, either.

Unless, you're like me, and can't go to the LFS for salt or Prime without picking a frag or crab out of their tanks

2211Nighthawk

It's a ton of fun! Not as hard or expensive as people make it out to be, either.

Unless, you're like me, and can't go to the LFS for salt or Prime without picking a frag or crab out of their tanks
It’s the landlords/ parents that are the issue. Still haven’t told them about the crab. plus I already have 3 now 3 and a half ranks running. Water bill makes them twitch.

Lorekeeper

It’s the landlords/ parents that are the issue. Still haven’t told them about the crab. plus I already have 3 now 3 and a half ranks running. Water bill makes them twitch.
I feel that pain...

Still in school, so every time I set up a tank I get the look. But, as long as I don't dump saltwater on the lawn, and clean my mess, I usually don't get too much trouble.

How big are your tanks? Water is just a few cents a gallon here, so I can't imagine water changes would cost more than a shower or two.

2211Nighthawk

I feel that pain...

Still in school, so every time I set up a tank I get the look. But, as long as I don't dump saltwater on the lawn, and clean my mess, I usually don't get too much trouble.

How big are your tanks? Water is just a few cents a gallon here, so I can't imagine water changes would cost more than a shower or two.
That’s what I told them! I’ll just take less showers (water changes are about 100 gallon a week) but them Mom gets huffy and tells me to just do the water changes. The good news is that o have horrible luck with inverts in my water so this is bought water. Not on the water bill. Loop holes baby!

2211Nighthawk

Ok, refractometer thing is shipped, what level of salinity should I aI'm for, how much do I increase it by, and its marine salt not aquarium salt right?

Oh yeah! Checked out the new pet store in town and they have a WACK load of these guys in stock. much smaller and not nearly as red as mine but still adorable.

And a little late to be asking now, but how big do they get?

aussieJJDude

IMO, I would aI'm for a salinity around the 1.008-1.018, maybe around the 1.010 mark... yep, definently use marine salt, aquarium salt does not contain the elements and compounds that they need for their health.

If it was me, I would increase the salinity by every water change up .002 or so. You cpuld certainly due something more gradual - like half a teaspoon every day - but in the wild brackish water fish/inverts are use to large swings in salinity....

From what I've read, they barely get larger than 4 inch across.

Lorekeeper

+1 to aussie.

I'd increase salinity slower, rather than faster. If it were me, I'd go 1.001 a day, and go for something like 1.010-1.012. That's going to give you, IMO, the best chances of success.

2211Nighthawk

IMO, I would aI'm for a salinity around the 1.008-1.018, maybe around the 1.010 mark... yep, definently use marine salt, aquarium salt does not contain the elements and compounds that they need for their health.

If it was me, I would increase the salinity by every water change up .002 or so. You cpuld certainly due something more gradual - like half a teaspoon every day - but in the wild brackish water fish/inverts are use to large swings in salinity....

From what I've read, they barely get larger than 4 inch across.
4” across the body or leg span?

aussieJJDude

4” across the body or leg span?
Pretty sure it included leg span as well...

Lorekeeper

I've seen some at stores before, and they were pretty small. I'd say that it was leg span included.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Kribensis27
Replies
Views
2211Nighthawk
Replies
Views
Dch48
Replies