Red Claw Crab in water 24/7?

tplowman91

So I bought a Red Claw Crab for my 20 gallon, didn't know they had crabs for Freshwater that can be submerged in water 24:7. How cool is this. Anyone have one of these? Are they easy to take care of? Will they eat my ghost shrimp?

I love taking care of Aquariums, but I also still love SushI & going Fishing.

MichaelM

I'm pretty sure there not actually fully aquatic and do need some land area.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Anders247

They'll eat your shrimp.... and your fish if you have any. I've heard they're very messy, too.

tplowman91

They'll eat your shrimp.... and your fish if you have any. I've heard they're very messy, too.

What do you mean by "Messy"? He is only 1 inch wide. No way he could eat my fish, unless one died.

Anders247

By messy I mean they excrete a lot of waste.

bizaliz3

They are only partially aquatic, so they will need some land area as well. And they prefer brackish water, although they can live in freshwater.

At one inch you may not think he can eat your shrimp now.....but as he gets bigger he will!

tplowman91

They are only partially aquatic, so they will need some land area as well. And they prefer brackish water, although they can live in freshwater.

At one inch you may not think he can eat your shrimp now.....but as he gets bigger he will!

Well I guess the fish store lied to me, I asked if they needed land they said they CAN, but not required. I guess I'll have to take him out.

bizaliz3

Well I guess the fish store lied to me, I asked if they needed land they said they CAN, but not required. I guess I'll have to take him out.

I have never kept the red claw crab before. I don't know if they CAN be without land. I just know that they prefer it. I have only seen them kept in paludariums.

Just don't take my word for it as I am not experienced with them personally. But from what I know, they prefer brackish water but CAN live in freshwater...so possibly they prefer land but CAN live without it. I do not know for sure.

tplowman91

I have never kept the red claw crab before. I don't know if they CAN be without land. I just know that they prefer it. I have only seen them kept in paludariums.

Just don't take my word for it as I am not experienced with them personally. But from what I know, they prefer brackish water but CAN live in freshwater...so possibly they prefer land but CAN live without it. I do not know for sure.

I'll just take him out and have a crab snack. Yum!

lopez18

they can only live in Freshwater for several weeks I have some in a brackish build

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Abbidd26
Replies
Views
WagglePets
Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views