Red Claw Crab and Fiddler Crab

1. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

So I have an empty 13g bowfront tank that's been sitting empty for far too long. After some serious indecisiveness, I've finally decided I want to do a crab tank. ;D

But, I can't find info about compatibility between two different types. Any experience/knowledge on this?

I know multiple males will lead to fights, and harem set-ups are best, but nothing I've read says anything about fiddler and red claw crabs in the same tank.

:;bananawater I've read up on their water, land, and care requirements. Once I'm ready, I'm going to instant cycle it with sand, decor, and filter media from my 55g. I'm gluing that plastic sewing mesh over the holes in my tank lid. I don't want any escapees. :;nin2

2. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

your probably thought about it for 2 mins...:;laughing... anywho fiddler crabs have smaller claws and only one big claw... and the red would have an advantage-personally i think that's asking for trouble as most crabs will quarrel and squabble with each other.

3. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

They would likely get along if given enough space. However, I don't think they'd have enough space in a 13g. I'd go with fiddlers only in that size of a tank.

4. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

:no2::giggle: I've been wanting these little bad boys since I set up my 55, just never thought seriously about doing it; recent posts about crabs made my mind up for me. ;D But, that's a good point about their claw sizes. I wonder if females of both species would get along? (Both have small claws.)

So, if I keep it to either fiddlers or RCC, I only have room for multiple fiddlers (1m, 1-2f) in the 13g? Do you think multiple RCC (1m, 1-2f) would cause problems? Is there room for a single RCC in 13g? I'm slightly partial to the red claws, but I'm not about to make them unhappy or endanger them.

:;thx guys! I spent the past few hours setting the tank up. :) Still need to make the platform though.

5. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

What I read was around 10g per individual for the RCC (this would, of course, be adjusted for the footprint of the tank, but I'm going to presume that yours has a slightly larger footprint than a 10g.) Therefore, an individual would do great. One male and one or two females is likely doable, but there's the possibility of fights.

6. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I see now. Thanks! :)