Experience
Just started
I would go with a pleco my friend.

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have zebra danio's and cherry shrimp together and all is well, go for the bristle nose there FAB fish ( I have my bristle nose in my tank with RCS & Danio's).

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok, but I can't seem to find any at the local stores. They only have the big pleco's.

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't the pleco's & rcs fight over food?

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
pleco's are cool but I wouldn't rely on them for tank maintenance. RCS are scavengers so they eat whatever they can get their claws on, although they are a bit more sensitive to water conditions, in general.

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
chunkdaddy said:
Don't the pleco's & rcs fight over food?
No there fine together my only issue is with the RCS, they do insist in getting into the filter and when you rescue them they leap for freedom! I have perfected the art of taking the filter apart blind, In a bucket with a lid so the don't leap off like they did the first few times. Finding a red shrimp on a red carpet was not easy the dog was scared of it and barked it it that's how I found it lol.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Actually, I would say yes. RCS are very timid, and generally do not do well with the larger plecos, even if it is a clown pleco of BN. The pleco would just engulf the food and shove all opposing shrimp off of it, though, more likely, the shrimp would bail first as the pleco approaches.

Also, I don't think that RCS will do too well with the BA tetras. Buenos Aires tetras grow pretty big, almost up to 3 inches, and can eat juvenile and even adult RCS when they have just molted, and have soft, vulnerable shells. In fact, since most shrimp are about 7.5-1" full grown, I wouldn't risk having them in the tank.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My daughter's platys and mollies ate the juvie RCS I put in there, at least I think they did. I haven't seen them since I moved them as an emergency measure because they were dying in my shrimp tank. So if platys and mollies can eat them, BAs definitely can but I think the danios might be too small to eat anythig but the smallest babies.

And I learned the hard way just how sensitive they are to water conditions... :-[

But with that said, I will be getting more for my daughter's tank once the conditions in my shrimp tank settle down. I'm not putting juvies in her tank again. I might put some otos in her tank but otherwise I'm going to rely on the shrimp and scavenging mollies to keep things clean.

-Lisa

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I thought the ba might be too much for thr rcs.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads