Red Cherry Shrimp

1. A

Anthony DiMezza Member Member

got a 10 gallon tank im cycling, whats a safe amount of RCS and i just had goldfish in it do i need to replace the filter socks or can i just rinse them off?

2. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Hi there (again, lol). I did the same thing you did, personally I did a large water change before adding shrimp in just to get the nitrates way down (shrimp like 10 or less). You can get pretty much any number, most start with ten or less and let them breed. In a 10 gallon, well, I've seen someone keep over 500 in a 5 gallon so if it's shrimp only, you can't really overstock. I recommend having some kind of moss or other slow growing plant because shrimp like to feed off the stuff that grows on that. Sußwassertang is always good, my shrimp love it, and java moss is a classic, but most people like the look of other mosses.

3. OP
    OP
    A

lol hello again i appreciate all the help you've been giving me on here. so should i change or just rinse off the filter socks in some tank water? and what kind of set up do the RCS like? also i have a rubber lip pleco leftover from when the goldies were in the tank can i keep him with the shrimp?

4. Rtessy

You can just rinse off the filter sock in water. And there have been several reports of plecos eating shrimp, and rubberlips need at least a 20g long term, because they produce so much waste. Shrimp don't need a huge set up or anything, they like moss and params should be 0/0/10. You can put in some hiding places so they feel secure, but honestly if you have a few clumps of moss that would be fine.

5. OP
    OP
    A

they dont need live plants besides the moss? like the plastic ones i have now should be okay? and if i dont need any other live plants is gravel okay or do they like sand more?

6. Rtessy

I have gravel in mine, and technically they don't need any other live plants, but the plants would help with the nitrates. Of course, if you just start with a few shrimp, you probably won't have much in the way of nitrates. The plastic plants will be fine, even good, because they'll have biofilm on them that the shrimp can graze on in addition to whatever else you feed them. Also, even if there aren't nitrates or anything, you should still do 10% water changes weekly. Do you happen to know what kind of TDS you have?

7. OP
    OP
    A

By tds do you mean my readings for the tank or what test set I’m using?

8. Rtessy

Total dissolved solids. Most people don't need to test this for cherry shrimp (the red ones at least) because most people have at least moderately hard water. I don't. My water is extremely soft, far too soft to keep any type of shrimp without remineralizing water. You could probably even find the TDS in a local water report. The shrimp use minerals in the water to build their shells, and since they molt when they grow, it's pretty important. If the water is too soft, they don't properly form a new shell and die during the molt, with a characteristic band behind the head. If there are too many minerals, the shell they formed is too thick to molt off and they can die. The shell being too thick is rarely a concern for cherry shrimp though.

9. OP
    OP
    A

to be honest i didnt know about the TDS for shrimp and i dont know how hard or soft the water is, im going to guess its on the softer side cause i do have driftwood in there but i was actually going dump that water and do a fishless cycle before i put the shrimp in

10. Rtessy

You don't have to dump all the water to be honest. I forgot if you have a testing kit, you just have to make sure nitrates stay below 10 when you go to put shrimp in. Driftwood is actually pretty great for shrimp, a lot of biofilm grows on it for them. Also, it generally drops the pH but doesn't affect hardness/softness of the water, unless you have like 1 kH (buffering capacity of the water, carbonate hardness) which would use up the buffering capacity with a slight pH drop. It also releases tannins which are beneficial. You can get a TDS meter to test your water, but to be honest I always use API gH kit more since it determines whether or not they will be able to molt (you want it at lwast 5-6). Its like $7 off of Amazon, I promise it's worth it. Are you going to use ammonia to fishless cycle? I think if you're still within 4-5 days of having the goldfish in that tank, you can just go ahead and pick up the shrimp, they have such low bioloads.

11. OP
    OP
    A

yes i was going to use ammonia and i dont wanna use the water in the tank now cause the ammonia is way too high cause the goldfish i had in there needed a much bigger tank so the water just isnt good. so as long as my nitrates are 10 or lower and my GH test reads between 5-6 my water is good? anything else i should know?

12. Rtessy

I forgot to say, the gH should be at least 5-6, 6 being better, but if it's higher that's fine. Higher than 24 is pushing it a bit, but still doable. You should drip acclimate them, about 1-2 drops per second, I normally do this for 2-3 hours and remove half the water two or three times in this period. They can then be netted into the tank. A lot of people put tons of emphasis on good shrimp food, if you really wanted to, there are several kits on Amazon for 8-12 dollars with Indian almond leaves, alder cones, mineral balls, and different shrimp food. Honestly I don't know how necessary all that stuff is, mine were just fed some shrimp pellets I got from PetSmart or something, some blanched veggies every now and then, and some algae wafers. A mix is good, and it's important to feed protein, but sometimes too much protein is bad. Make sure you have a covering over the filter because the babies are less than 1mm wide (thought I think you said you had pantyhose over it, that's perfect). Moss is good... I think that's about it.

13. OP
    OP
    A

oh no....i dont know ANYTHING about drip acclimate! lol

14. Rtessy

Lol that's totally fine, all you need is some airline tubing (and make a knot in it, or you could use a control valve) and tape to hold the tubing. You could also use suction cups to hold it. I'm not so great at explaining it, but there's tons of diagrams and such online.