Red cherry shrimp without bio filter and sponge filter

Naveen

Can i keep Red cherry shrimp in my 3 gallon tank... without bio filter and sponge filter... I wud like to give a try.... I'm keeping seperate tank for shrimps.... With full of plants...is it possible... Will dey survive... Weekly 30 water change.... No co2... Only shrimps...

JettsPapa

It should be do-able. I have a couple in a glass vase on a window sill with a handful of moss.

Upvote 0

Naveen

It should be do-able. I have a couple in a glass vase on a window sill with a handful of moss.
can i use sponge filter for shrimp tank... Will dat be helpfull

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

can i use sponge filter for shrimp tank... Will dat be helpfull

Yes, that would be helpful.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Do tank get cycling without bio filter??
Can you explain what you mean by bio-filter? A sponge filter can be considered a bio-filter as can any other type of filtration. Hopefully this will clear up any confusion you may be experiencing.

I am running a sponge filter in my shrimp bowl. The bowl is cycled.

Upvote 0

Naveen

Can you explain what you mean by bio-filter? A sponge filter can be considered a bio-filter as can any other type of filtration. Hopefully this will clear up any confusion you may be experiencing.

Thank u .. u mean sponge filter is enough to cycle shrimp tank???...
I'm talking about ceramic rings and bio balls ... Which is used to cycle tank.....
The beneficial bacteria grows on every surface in the tank, including substrate, glass, and plants, not just on the filter.
u mean nothing is needed to cycle tank.... Tank cycle itself without bio and sponge filter???

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I'm talking about ceramic rings and bio balls ... Which is used to cycle tank.....
u mean nothing is needed to cycle tank.... Tank cycle itself without bio and sponge filter???
Yes, you can cycle a tank with just a sponge filter. Bacteria just needs a place to grow. Bacteria grows best where there is the most food. That will be on the filter media because the food (ammonia) is being pulled to and through it. A sponge filter is considered filter media. Bacteria is also going to grow on all the surfaces in our tanks but the strongest colony of it is going to be on our filter media.

Lots of folks do put ceramic rings and/or bio balls in their filters but it isn't something specific one has to have to cycle a tank. It is just another good place for bacteria to grow and is something that will last for many many years.

Upvote 0

ROFEA

Yes, I have the same setup, planted, no filter, no ferts. I also have a larger filtered aquarium and I would say the cherry shrimp thrive in both. The main thing is having a great light so the plants will pearl and remove waste. The small stagnant aquarium will get more glass algae. There is a behavioral difference and it could be size or filter related but I noticed the filter tank shrimp swim around more/faster, generally more active but both procreate plenty.

Upvote 0

Naveen

Yes, I have the same setup, planted, no filter, no ferts. I also have a larger filtered aquarium and I would say the cherry shrimp thrive in both. The main thing is having a great light so the plants will pearl and remove waste. The small stagnant aquarium will get more glass algae. There is a behavioral difference and it could be size or filter related but I noticed the filter tank shrimp swim around more/faster, generally more active but both procreate plenty.
Can i hav a picture of shrimp tank setup without bio filter

Can i hav a picture of shrimp bowl setup

Upvote 0

mattgirl

1626362277532.png

This was my 2.5 gallon shrimp bowl when I first added shrimp to it. Plants have changed along the way but it basically still looks like this. I keep the water level higher than what you see here.

If you would be interested in it this is my thread on how I take care of it. I finally have Shrimp in my Bowl | Cherry Shrimp Forum | 459267

Upvote 0

Chewbacca773

How about bare bottom tank for rcs with sponge filter and moss , driftwood.. some floating plant... Easy to maintain... No worry stable chemistrywater
I would say just make sure there are enough surfaces for the shrimp to eat biofilm off of. This is why substrate is pretty important for shrimp in my experience

edit - rewording

Upvote 0

CrackerboxPalace

If the water is completely stagnant your tank probably won't cycle. Nitrifying bacteria need plenty of oxygen which they usually get from water flow because of the filter.

Upvote 0

Naveen

If the water is completely stagnant your tank probably won't cycle. Nitrifying bacteria need plenty of oxygen which they usually get from water flow because of the filter.
Sponge filter is enough for water moment??? Isn't it
I would say just make sure there are enough surfaces for the shrimp to eat biofilm off of. This is why substrate is pretty important for shrimp in my experience

edit - rewording
There will be java moss driftwood Anubis other plants.... In bare bottom... Hope after cycle der wud be lot of algea to feed rcs... What's ur opinion. . . Active soil change water parameters... I heard dat most neocaridina shrimp breeder prefer bare bottom tank??

Upvote 0

CrackerboxPalace

Sponge filter is enough for water moment??? Isn't it
Yeah I think I read your post wrong. A sponge filter is enough

Upvote 0

mattgirl

How about bare bottom tank for rcs with sponge filter and moss , driftwood.. some floating plant... Easy to maintain... No worry stable chemistrywater
This shouldn't be a problem. Since I don't want to constantly be siphoning shrimp out I do have a substrate in my bowl. All the detritus is hidden in the gravel instead of just laying on a bare bottom. If it was laying on the bottom it would be an eyesore to me.

You may want to consider adding a layer of leaf litter to the bottom of your shrimp tank. It would serve as a faux substrate and would also serve as food for your shrimp.

I did want to point out not all substrates are like an active soil that will change water parameters. Normal aquarium gravel won't nor will pool filter sand.

Upvote 0

Naveen

Hi frends in have 5 gallon tank im new to keep shrimps... I like to keep Red cherry shrimp.. cud u u plz suggest me... Type of filter, i mean sponge or bio filter, and wat other elements i need.... Plz refer me mandatory things and items,,, i mean, is all the test needed(ph, amonia nitrates nitrates gh kh tds copper)and suitable substrate (inert or active or bare bottom) should i keep heater???

Upvote 0

Bruinfishkeeper1

Sponge filter is a great choice for just a RCS tank. If you want live plants i would do nutrient substrate. Inert substrate also works, and if you don't want plants, then barebottom is fine to.

Heater wise it depends, on your current house room temp. RCS can go pretty high and very low, but for them to thrive and breed i like to keep them at a stable temp (stability is important) at around 65-77ish

Upvote 0

Yeoy

For a 5G I think a sponge filter is fine. Just keep an eye on it not getting too blocked/dirty, and keep up your water changes. Depends where you live but I think even a small heater would be good just to keep things stable.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

Hi Naveen
All filters need to have the colonies of bacteria ON them that eat toxic fish/ shrimp waste.
Any filter is a bio filter when it is old enough to have the colonies of bacteria ON it.
All shrimp including Cherry Shrimp MUST have a filter with colonies of bacteria before the tank is a safe place for them . Even small amounts of waste ( ammonia) will kill shrimp.
The bacteria colonies are also called “ a cycled tank” from the words that describe the eating of ammonia. The “nitrogen cycle “.
The intake of many filters is not suitable for small creatures .Shrimp will need a foam cover over the intake. A sponge filter is ideal. We can help you build the colonies of bacteria needed.

Shrimp will also need a light source to grow bio film ( slime) that they eat . Along with a small amount of man made food/ dry food. Live plants even the most basic floating plants are going to help feed the shrimp this slime ( bio film) . Anyone can grow duckweed or frogbit.

Substrate is not important if you decide not to grow plants in it. Gravel is harder to keep uneaten food out of. Any food that falls into the gravel will have to be vacuumed out. Sand is less likely to trap food in a place shrimp can’t get to.
Bare bottom can work but doesn’t look nice to the humans eye.

You will also need .
A bucket that’s only used for the fish / shrimp tank.
A hose to vacuum out water and waste solids ( poop) .
A bottle of de chlorinator also called conditioner.This is used with every bucket of change water.
A heater is likely needed depending on your climate. A stable temperature is more likely to be successful?

Upvote 0

Naveen

Hi Naveen
All filters need to have the colonies of bacteria ON them that eat toxic fish/ shrimp waste.
Any filter is a bio filter when it is old enough to have the colonies of bacteria ON it.
All shrimp including Cherry Shrimp MUST have a filter with colonies of bacteria before the tank is a safe place for them . Even small amounts of waste ( ammonia) will kill shrimp.
The bacteria colonies are also called “ a cycled tank” from the words that describe the eating of ammonia. The “nitrogen cycle “.
The intake of many filters is not suitable for small creatures .Shrimp will need a foam cover over the intake. A sponge filter is ideal. We can help you build the colonies of bacteria needed.

Shrimp will also need a light source to grow bio film ( slime) that they eat . Along with a small amount of man made food/ dry food. Live plants even the most basic floating plants are going to help feed the shrimp this slime ( bio film) . Anyone can grow duckweed or frogbit.

Substrate is not important if you decide not to grow plants in it. Gravel is harder to keep uneaten food out of. Any food that falls into the gravel will have to be vacuumed out. Sand is less likely to trap food in a place shrimp can’t get to.
Bare bottom can work but doesn’t look nice to the humans eye.

You will also need .
A bucket that’s only used for the fish / shrimp tank.
A hose to vacuum out water and waste solids ( poop) .
A bottle of de chlorinator also called conditioner.This is used with every bucket of change water.
A heater is likely needed depending on your climate. A stable temperature is more likely to be successful?
Is gravel vaccuming mondetary??
Is api master test klt mondetary??( Amonia nitrates nitrates gh kh ph)))

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

No it is not mandatory to vacuum the substrate. Certainly not every week or month ,but sooner or later you will need to clean out the solids . When feeding vegetables it is necessary to remove uneaten food. When feeding green leaves to shrimp you need to remove the skeleton of the leaf.
Using a feeding dish is one way to limit the left over food falling down into the gravel but it will need cleaning eventually.

Some good aquarium Shops will test water for free.
To keep shrimp you really do need to learn of the nitrogen cycle. The only way to truely monitor your nitrogen cycle is to test it yourself.

Upvote 0

Naveen

No it is not mandatory to vacuum the substrate. Certainly not every week or month ,but sooner or later you will need to clean out the solids . When feeding vegetables it is necessary to remove uneaten food. When feeding green leaves to shrimp you need to remove the skeleton of the leaf.
Using a feeding dish is one way to limit the left over food falling down into the gravel but it will need cleaning eventually.

Some good aquarium Shops will test water for free.
To keep shrimp you really do need to learn of the nitrogen cycle. The only way to truely monitor your nitrogen cycle is to test it yourself.
I will buy a test kit... But feeding in a dish is smart idea but what all the food can i feed in dish plz suggest me... And how long a food be kept in dish in tank wen should i remove the dish??

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

When I was running a shrimp ( cherry shrimp) only tank I used a glass coffee jar lid that had tall sides as a feeding dish. I left it in the tank 24/7 and used a turkey baster to add a very very very small amount of Hikiri crab cuisine ( dry food) once each day or every second day.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
airdog44
  • Poll
Replies
Views
airdog44