Red Cherry Shrimp Steadily Dying

yom

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have about 200 RCS in a 40 gallon tank, no tank mates. It's got 3 large pieces of driftwood in there, a fair amount of vegetation. 10% water change every other day.

They're molting fine (in fact, but they don't seem to be eating their molt).
Every day I see about 3 to 5 dead ones and I'm totally out of ideas!

Water parameters:
79.34F
6.5pH
0ppm Ammonia
0ppm Nitrites
~5.0ppm Nitrates

Yves

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am no expert but from what I have read I think your changing your water way to often, a weekly water change would be sufficient, make sure the water you are adding is the same temp as the water you removed, shrimp can be sensitive to water changes. I not sure if you are using sponge filters in your tank but every shrimp person I watch on YouTube is using sponge.

OP
yom

yom

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Anders247 said:
How long have you had them?
Do you know your KH and GH levels?
I've had the first batch (around 110) for 26 days, second batch (around 80) for 18 days.
Don't know my KH and GH levels, but they're molting normally. Also to add to the headache, I have about 20 in a QT that I haven't been able to extract, and they're living perfectly fine with the same water conditions (hardness included).

Yves said:
I am no expert but from what I have read I think your changing your water way to often, a weekly water change would be sufficient, make sure the water you are adding is the same temp as the water you removed, shrimp can be sensitive to water changes. I not sure if you are using sponge filters in your tank but every shrimp person I watch on YouTube is using sponge.
Yes on the sponge filter, I read that about WC as well, but the warning was not to do large ones frequently. The consensus was smaller ones frequently.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Maybe all the driftwood is changing to parameters to what they can't handle? As far as I know, they are better in harder water, as it helps them during molts.

OP
yom

yom

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Anders247 said:
Maybe all the driftwood is changing to parameters to what they can't handle? As far as I know, they are better in harder water, as it helps them during molts.
The only real difference between the 2 tanks is the fact that 1 has driftwood and the other does not. I've never read anything about driftwood contributing to shrimp death, I'm not really sure how to even test this, as the shrimp inhabit every nook and cranny of the driftwood =/

re water hardness, the 2 tanks have the same hardness of water.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The pH is the same in both?
Driftwood lowers pH, I wasn't saying that the driftwood would kill them with them crawling over it.

OP
yom

yom

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Anders247 said:
The pH is the same in both?
Driftwood lowers pH, I wasn't saying that the driftwood would kill them with them crawling over it.
pH in both are between 6.4 and 6.6.

MadRiley

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The expert on YouTube for shrimp appears to be Flip Aquatics and he said on a video since the bioload on shrimp is so low water only needs to be changed every two weeks.

MadRiley

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
navyfish4life said:
Oh I no his Channel he has shrimp with drift wood and there fine. He has a 1.5 shrimp tank with spider drift wood.
If you get a chance check out flipaquatics.com. He has a huge business selling shrimp.

Landos

Well Known
Reaction score
That's weird as my rcs thrive anywhere I put them. Even in my 100gal unfiltered pond with daphnia. Is your water hard?

OP
yom

yom

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The most frustrating thing is that I accidentally picked up a couple of shrimp with java moss when moving it into a take-away container, who are both current living happily for two weeks now, without any heating. In the same take-away container. Meanwhile, the critters I'm trying to provide the best environment for are dying!

Florian Pellet

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you really can't find the problem, and based on the number of shrimp you have, I'd recommend a 100% WC. And then let things be for a while. But that's my last resort solution.
Edit: that would mean taking every single shrimp out in a bucket, changing the tank's water, and drip acclimating the shrimps to the new water. You'd then have to closely monitor your nitrogen cycle.

What are you feeding them?
Could you give them a cuttlebone?

You said you have ~200 shrimps and you find 2-3 of them dead daily. That means that the few that are still alive in the separate container could just be alive out of lucky statistics. So we're not sure there's a difference between the tank and the container at play here yet. I'd be good to know your GH and KH.

Fanatic, Lchi87, Sarah73, you guys do shrimps, right? Any idea?

OP
yom

yom

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Turned on the tank light to find 8 dead. EIGHT dead.

I might have to do exactly that... but 200 RCS among holey driftwood is going to be **** to evacuate.

Florian Pellet

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What else than driftwood is in your tank? What plants exactly? Where did you get everything (substrate, plants, wood...)?

This will be my last message on this thread as you have not answered ANY of my questions.

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry that I'm late to the party but knowing your gh and kh would be helpful. I agree with Florian Pellet though, scrapping the tank and starting over is usually how I address unexplained deaths if nothing else works.

tjander

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I fully disagree with a 100% water change.
Shrimp do need stable water conditions.

IMO, stop your water changes for a week or so, then do 10 to 20% weekly changes.
Add some cuttlebone to the tank, I had unexplainable shrimp deaths until I added the cuttlebone then like magic everything seemed fine.
Buy or get a water reading on your GH and KH. It may not prove anything but it might point to a problem. Test your tap water as well.
What is your water temperature?

New Threads