Red Cherry Shrimp Questions

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello fellow fish people,
I have been told that RCS need Fluval Stratum but is that true? Can't I just use sand?
Also, is a 2.5 gallon tank (13x6x8) big enough for RCS? What type of conditions will they breed in?
Thanks!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I will be putting a bit of java moss in the tank.

Best Answer - View smee82's answer

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
  1. Mine are doing fine with black blasting sand substrate.
  2. I've never tried keeping them in a tank that small. It might work, but keeping the water parameters stable enough for shrimp might be tough.
  3. As far as conditions they'll breed in, they need stable water conditions, the right water conditions, a food source, and probably other things I can't think of right now.

OP
AquaticQueen

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
JettsPapa said:
  1. Mine are doing fine with black blasting sand substrate.
  2. I've never tried keeping them in a tank that small. It might work, but keeping the water parameters stable enough for shrimp might be tough.
  3. As far as conditions they'll breed in, they need stable water conditions, the right water conditions, a food source, and probably other things I can't think of right now.
Thanks.
If it will be tough to keep the water levels right I might move my betta to a 10 gallon and do the shrimp in my 6.5 gallon.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
No, it would be crystal/bee shrimp that need to the KH and pH lowering properties of an aquasoil :)
Yes! I had a colony in a 2.6. Keep GH at least 5-6 degrees, get some easy plants for grazing area, and you should be pretty set!

IsThisAGoodUsername

Reaction score
I dont know about anyone else but I have good luck keeping them on Crushed coral, i have a colony that pops out about $30 worth of shrimp a week, and I keep mine in 30 gallon tanks, only because it offers more flexibility on how many you can have and it offers the ability to sometimes keep fish alongside with them

New Threads