Red Cherry Shrimp Question About Breeding

hoangjohnnguyen
So I have a nano 7.5 gallon tank
Bare bottom with plants tied to rocks (anubias nana, water wisteria, some hair algae from other tank, marimo moss balls, s repens and crypt undulata) and some duck weed as a floater. I also have a piece of cholla wood and a petrified wood with an air stone and an in tank filter.. it also has one mystery snail. the tank is just recently cycled for a month now.
I had 6 cherry shrimp to start but one died(probably from stress). I dropped acclimated them within a couple hours. So I have 4 males and 1 female left. They've been doing good for a week now. And I was wondering if this setup is good for them to breed? And if so how long?
Also I was wondering any advice to help induce them to breed or to feed them without adding too much to the ammonia levels but still have beneficial bacteria? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Temperature:76-78

20180726_220516.jpg

Brian Rodgers
Nice setup, I can't help as I haven't raised shrimp, but I want to some day. So I hope you get answers .

Culprit
So I have a nano 7.5 gallon tank
Bare bottom with plants tied to rocks (anubias nana, water wisteria, some hair algae from other tank, marimo moss balls, s repens and crypt undulata) and some duck weed as a floater. I also have a piece of cholla wood and a petrified wood with an air stone and an in tank filter.. it also has one mystery snail. the tank is just recently cycled for a month now.
I had 6 cherry shrimp to start but one died(probably from stress). I dropped acclimated them within a couple hours. So I have 4 males and 1 female left. They've been doing good for a week now. And I was wondering if this setup is good for them to breed? And if so how long?
Also I was wondering any advice to help induce them to breed or to feed them without adding too much to the ammonia levels but still have beneficial bacteria? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Temperature:76-78
View attachment 460145

Good looking tank. Only problem is you may want some kind of buffering substrate like fluval shrimp and plant stratum. It will keep PH and KH steady which is a must, and, it will make the plants grow better, and it will grow lots of good micro fauna the shrip love to eat.

The setup sounds good! Just make sure there's plenty of algae ect. I like to put a mason jar with some rock or DW or plants or whatever in a window, dose it full of ferts and let it sit until it grows tons of algae, then put the rock or whatever in. Also its good to feed veggies like carrots, spinach, cucumber, ect. Make sure its clean, and blanch it. I always just stick the veggies in the microwave in a mug for 2-3 minutes. Mine love spinach especially.

Not much you can do except have a tank that is mature, and steady params. Might want to lower your temp to 75.

hoangjohnnguyen
Nice setup, I can't help as I haven't raised shrimp, but I want to some day. So I hope you get answers .
They are pretty cool and quirky, the red is beautiful too highly recommended!

WTFish?
Nice tank. I think they will breed in no time, maybe even get a few more females. I found when I started using bacter ae my population boomed. It adds a biofilm to the tank, great for the tiny shrimplets but the adults eat it too. I use hikarI shrimp pellets, they also munch on fish flakes and I haven’t found a veggie yet that they don’t like. I can’t tell what type of filter you have but if it’s not a sponge then make sure you have covered the intake, babies will be sucked up. Good luck!

hoangjohnnguyen
Good looking tank. Only problem is you may want some kind of buffering substrate like fluval shrimp and plant stratum. It will keep PH and KH steady which is a must, and, it will make the plants grow better, and it will grow lots of good micro fauna the shrip love to eat.

The setup sounds good! Just make sure there's plenty of algae ect. I like to put a mason jar with some rock or DW or plants or whatever in a window, dose it full of ferts and let it sit until it grows tons of algae, then put the rock or whatever in. Also its good to feed veggies like carrots, spinach, cucumber, ect. Make sure its clean, and blanch it. I always just stick the veggies in the microwave in a mug for 2-3 minutes. Mine love spinach especially.

Not much you can do except have a tank that is mature, and steady params. Might want to lower your temp to 75.
Awesome thanks for the speedy and detailed advice on feeding the shrimp! Do you think it I just put a small bowl of substrate in the tank that will do? I was wanting to keep it a bare bottom.

hoangjohnnguyen
Nice tank. I think they will breed in no time, maybe even get a few more females. I found when I started using bacter ae my population boomed. It adds a biofilm to the tank, great for the tiny shrimplets but the adults eat it too. I use hikarI shrimp pellets, they also munch on fish flakes and I haven’t found a veggie yet that they don’t like. I can’t tell what type of filter you have but if it’s not a sponge then make sure you have covered the intake, babies will be sucked up. Good luck!
Thank you I will need to get some bacteria AE, I tried to find some hikarI shrimp pellets around my fish stores but no one had it:/ is there anything special I need to do to the veggies to make sure it's safe for the tank? What would you recommend covering the filter with? Theres a fluval black sponge in there.

WTFish?
Thank you I will need to get some bacteria AE, I tried to find some hikarI shrimp pellets around my fish stores but no one had it:/ is there anything special I need to do to the veggies to make sure it's safe for the tank? What would you recommend covering the filter with? Theres a fluval black sponge in there.
They’ll literally eat almost anything lol. So whatever sinking pellets you can find will work. Occasional algae wafers are a hit too. For the veggies, just rinse. I put mine in water and nuke it for a few seconds so they’ll sink, once cooled, plop it in. Mine like green beans, peas, zucchini, spinach etc. also, as long as you plants don’t require substrate I think a bare bottom is fine as long as there’s enough hiding spots for shrimplets. Your cholla is perfect! I also have a large porous lava rock which mine hide in too.

hoangjohnnguyen
They’ll literally eat almost anything lol. So whatever sinking pellets you can find will work. Occasional algae wafers are a hit too. For the veggies, just rinse. I put mine in water and nuke it for a few seconds so they’ll sink, once cooled, plop it in. Mine like green beans, peas, zucchini, spinach etc. also, as long as you plants don’t require substrate I think a bare bottom is fine as long as there’s enough hiding spots for shrimplets. Your cholla is perfect! I also have a large porous lava rock which mine hide in too.
Hey just wondering how long would 5 shrimp become a colony of 100? And should I buy more shrimp?

WTFish?
Hey just wondering how long would 5 shrimp become a colony of 100? And should I buy more shrimp?
I would try to get a few more females if you only have one. IF you believe your tank is ready and haven’t had more deaths. I started with 7 and within a month or so they started breeding. In about 5-6 months I had well over 200!

Sarah73
Is the tank mature? All of my 50 RCS died because I introduced them to a new tank (already cycled). There goes 250 dollars. You should put them in the most mature tank you got.

hoangjohnnguyen
Is the tank mature? All of my 50 RCS died because I introduced them to a new tank (already cycled). There goes 250 dollars. You should put them in the most mature tank you got.
The nano tank isn't as mature as my 75 gallon but that that tank has 20 community fish of guppies, and neon tetras

Sarah73
How long has it been running?

hoangjohnnguyen
I would try to get a few more females if you only have one. IF you believe your tank is ready and haven’t had more deaths. I started with 7 and within a month or so they started breeding. In about 5-6 months I had well over 200!
Awh that is awesome to hear! Yeah the shrimp or still doing good, are you still selling shrimp?

hoangjohnnguyen
How long has it been running?
The bigger tank has been running for almost 2 years, and the nano has been running for a month and half

WTFish?
Awh that is awesome to hear! Yeah the shrimp or still doing good, are you still selling shrimp?
I’ve never sold any shrimp, I thought about when I had a lot of breeding. I think they’re taking the warmer months off, lol. If I start seeing berried females I’ll pm you to see if you’re still interested.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mr. Kgnao
Replies
Views
nacPhoenix
Top Bottom