Red Cherry Shrimp compatibility with Golden Cloud Mountain Minnows

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by TanksbyTim, Aug 6, 2015.

1. TanksbyTimValued MemberMember

Hello, everyone! I have 12 Golden Cloud Mountain Minnows and 3 Golden Mystery Snails in a 20 gallon high tank. The tank is well-established and is doing very well. I have been wanting to add something to the bottom of the tank (other than the snails) for quite a while now. I have tried a CPO, but that didn't work so well. I am now wanting to try RCS, but I figured I would ask for input before trying this.

My minnows and my snails are very friendly towards each other, and were even friendly towards a CPO. I have plenty of hiding places available and the tank is lightly planted. I was thinking of starting with 10 RCS, but I am currently afraid of the minnows attacking the shrimp.

What do you think?

Thanks! :)

2. AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

There will always be a chance that the shrimps will be eaten by the fish, it is in their nature.

3. TanksbyTimValued MemberMember

Thanks for the advice! That's what I'm afraid of. I don't want the minnows to eat the shrimp, but I have heard of some people keeping them successfully with minnows before. I just didn't know if this is something to expect or if it's a rare case.

4. Tman2902Valued MemberMember

There is a strong chance that the minnows will leave the RCS alone. Try 2 or 3 to start see what happens worst case your minnows eat well for a night. Best case add a few more RCS if they don't get eaten they might even make shrimplets to sell or feed to the minnows and such. Best of luck with the experimentation.

5. TanksbyTimValued MemberMember

Thanks for the advice! I think I'm going to purchase 10 (smallest amount I can find readily available) and see what happens. I'll update this thread in a few weeks with my experiences.

6. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Sounds good. I personally think they will be fine, though....

7. TanksbyTimValued MemberMember

It seems like a lot of people think they would be fine. I think that's interesting because I was thinking the opposite. I'm glad that everyone thinks they will be fine, though. :)

8. isacrValued MemberMember

Lol I put some in with my tiger barbs. Man that was a expensive snack!!!

9. OvenmittsValued MemberMember

I would love to try some RCS also, but at $10 for 3, I think it would be an expensive experiment. Are they cheaper where you are?

10. MJDutiWell Known MemberMember

There are a couple reliable members that sell them on this site in the BST forum. Good prices and good stock

11. Tman2902Valued MemberMember

I will have to take a look at that section on the forum. Currently trying to find some RDS through a lfs which in my area is hard. And ya 3 bucks appears to be the standard price for the little guys, however they do reproduce rapidly so there is a chance you could make a little return on your investment down the road, or just use them as fish food.
    Good luck!
    -T

12. Tom74Valued MemberMember

I have a heavily planted 10g Tank with 6 Cloud minnows and 8 RCS's, my shrimp are climbing the hornwort always and hanging near the minnows, the minnows usually ignore them and play

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice