Red Cherry Shrimp Care

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by kncollins7, Jul 31, 2017.

1. kncollins7

kncollins7New MemberMember

Hey everyone, I'm planning on picking up 10 or so RCS from my LFS. I wanna know what I need to do to have them thrive and hopefully breed in my tank.

It's a 120G tank with two comet goldfish (~6 in) and an apple snail. I'm thinking as long as I have enough hides and bushy plants my goldfish shouldn't bother them. They don't really bother my snail unless he's eating food and they take it away from him.

Water Parameters if it applies:

pH/pH high range: 7.6/7.4
    Ammonia: 0 ppm
    Nitrite: 0 ppm
    Nitrate: 0 ppm
    GH/KH: 5°/1° (I added some cuttlebone to my HOB filter to hopefully improve the KH)

2. andychrissytank

andychrissytankValued MemberMember

They breed better in slightly acidic water so some pH down from your lfs to get a nice 6.8 pH, which isn't too acidic for the snail. Some chola wood for the baby shrimplets, and you're right lots of plant cover. You can also put some cuttlebone in the tank itself so the shrimps and snail can eat it. They will breed quite easily in the tank and of the 10, a few females will probably already be berried (you can tell by little green/yellow eggs in her lower abdomen/saddle)

3. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Sorry but they are going to get eaten by comet goldfish. Even larger shrimp like amanos will get eaten by comet goldfish. Until they get eaten they will be hiding all the time and stressed.

4. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Sorry i agree they will.just become an expensive snack for tour goldies

5. rubyswordValued MemberMember

I agree.

6. -Mak-

-Mak-Well Known MemberMember

They actually like slightly alkaline water better, but they will breed regardless. But the others are right, they'll likely be eaten.
    What you can do is get a smaller tank, perhaps 10 gallons, and make it a planted shrimp tank. Once they start breeding, the 120 can be your cull tank, and any that survive will remain in there :)
    You'll also want to boost your GH a bit.

7. OP
    OP
    kncollins7

After all the replies I've been reading that's exactly what I was thinking since I have a 20G still running as it was my goldfishes' old aquarium.

8. OP
    OP
    kncollins7

Thanks for all the replies if you have any tips on breeding them in a 20G would also be appreciated

9. Kellye8498

Kellye8498Well Known MemberMember

Mine pretty much made a colony all on their own. They are in a 36 gallon with four myster snails and a lemon BN pleco. They pick at the moss and eat biofilm off the driftwood and rocks. They have their babies living in the rock because it has little holes where babies fit so they can start growing out in there until they are big enough and brace enough to start venturing out. Make sure your nitrates stay low. High nitrates will kill them fast. Found one dead one day and checked and my nitrates were 40 :( Did a large water change and added some purigen to the tank in case it ever happened again and everyone came out to swim ajdbplay like it never happened but I clearly lost a few.

10. OP
    OP
    kncollins7

Good thing I already have purigen! Thank you!

11. rubyswordValued MemberMember

Agree on the pristine water. They can be very sensitive.

12. Kellye8498

Kellye8498Well Known MemberMember

I always cringe when I see people asking about their cherry shrimp and talking about how they have them in an uncycled tank. Shrimp definitely don't do well in fresh tanks lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice