Red cherry shrimp berried with blue eggs

Lady Monster

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have some red cherries, probably low grade they're mostly clear with faint red. 2 or 3 adults are solid red but juveniles are clearish red. I started with 1 berried shrimp and from there I had like 6 females and 1 male survive (momma molted and shed her eggs but they were attached the exoskeleton and developed enough I was able to hatch them in a coffee mug lol) anyways, soon enough all 7 females were berried and from there I had a population explosion of rcs. I was doing a water change today and I saw BLUE eggs in a mommas belly. and I need an explanation lol. They've always been yellow I'd like to isolate her until they hatch but I don't want risk her molting and dropping the eggs. Im curious why are they blue?

I can try to get a pic later when my phones done charging. Even if no one has an answer it would still be interesting share, red cherry shrimp with blue eggs

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't know but I want to hear the answer! Only thing that comes to mind is a disease, can't recall the name of it right now, but it grows greenish spiky things where eggs would otherwise be found.

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It is also possible that it is a throwback to a colored gene from a few generations ago, or a spontaineous color mutation. Just wait and see, and keep us posted. Let see Red and blue make purple, maybe you will end up with purple shrimp. Wouldn't that be neat? Alison

Lady Monster

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They are kinda of purplish now. That would be pretty neat to randomly have purple shrimps they should be hatching any day now.

I tried to Google an answer but didn't find much. Hopefully it's not a disease or dead eggs.

Hilo Bay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
@Lady Monster

I just ordered RCS and the breeder warned that some of her females also have blue eggs and a few of her adult females have turned purple too!

She has some pictures posted but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to use her pics on here since I did not take them.

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That is interesting! I wonder if the blue eggs produce purple shrimp or if they're changing colours at the same time due to the same cause....

Hilo Bay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm very curious too! I can't wait for them to arrive so I can study them.

I messaged the seller and asked for her thoughts on this. Her guess was that because at one point she kept her shrimp in a heavily planted endler tank, that the darker shrimp survived and reproduced more successfully(survival of the fittest type of thing)

PATotkaca

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't know but I want to hear the answer! Only thing that comes to mind is a disease, can't recall the name of it right now, but it grows greenish spiky things where eggs would otherwise be found.
I think it's called ellobiopsidae. Don't count on me for the spelling though

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom