Red Cherry Shrimp and Corries

1. Linda4088

Linda4088 Valued Member Member

I want to add a Corry to my tank to help the shrimp clean up. Will it be alright or will he eat my shrimp?

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Cories are potentially harmful to shrimp. It would definitely eat the young but a coin flip on the adults. The only fish that is 100% shrimp safe is the Otocinclus.

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Corys will not clean your tank, they will eat any food that hits the bottom but they need their own diet as they're 95% carnivores, they're also a shoaling fish & need to be kept in groups of 6+

4. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

I keep RCS with my Dario Darios and even with them actively hunting baby shrimp my population is growing so i wouldnt worry about cories.

5. FiscCyning

FiscCyning Valued Member Member

Cories will need their own food source so they won't benefit your tank if you want something to clean it up. They will just add more waste to the tank because you'll have to feed extra food. Also,they are a schooling fish so you cannot add just one.

If there is uneaten food in your tank that is too much for the shrimp to eat, then you need to cut back on your feeding amounts instead of adding more fish. If the cleaning need is getting rid of fish poop, then I'm afraid neither fish nor shrimp will do that. The answer there is simply water changes and gravel vacuuming.

6. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407334772.276835.jpg All my Corys and Cherrys are living peacefully together. Wished they would eat some !!

7. AndyVE

AndyVE Valued Member Member

Hi Linda,
    i just started with an aquarium.
    my first fish in it are corydora trilineatus and added Neocaridina Davidi Red Sakura shrimp. So far i never saw the cories hurting my shrimp. But they do bump into one by accident from time to time (swim sometimes like they are in a hurry). ;)

The shrimp also love the food pellets, so eat together even.

[​IMG]

8. DoubleDutch

Andy, just curious and off topic. Are you feeding your Trilineatus protein-pellets. Seems to be an algae- / veg one, but I can be wrong. These fish are 95% carnivorious.
    Nice pic btw !

Regards,
    Aad

9. AndyVE

Also feed them bloodworms, But they do not seem to mind the pellets (are JBL novo fect for plant eating fish).

as far as i know they are omnivorous.

10. Coradee

As DD said, corys are 95% carnivores, they will eat algae wafers if there's nothing else on offer but they get little to no nutrition from veg or algae.
    I have shrimp in all my tanks with corys & they take no notice of them at all, the shrimp will even steal pellets from under their noses.

11. AndyVE

So what else do you feed them except bloodworm?

12. DoubleDutch

JBL novotabs are great for Corys. A wrong diet weakens them and makes them vunerable for infections in the long term.

Bloodworms are perfect, brineshrimp, daphnia, aso

13. OP
    OP
    Linda4088

I'm not asking my Cory to eat poop. LOL. I can't believe two people actually thought that. I'm asking him/her to help with the food that the fish let drop to the bottom. Even if I cut back they don't always get everything. As far as having to have more than one. I'm sorry but if you go by that, then all fish should be in schools and not in aquariums. Corry's spend all of their time looking for food so if they have a friend, fine, if not, fine.

14. Coradee

What we try & do in our tanks is give our fish as natural an environment as we possibly can, in a perfect world we'd all have massive tanks with huge numbers of fish but that isn't possible so the least we can do is keep shoaling fish in groups.
    Keeping shoaling fish on their own imo is cruel, you wouldn't like to be locked in a small room & not allowed to see or speak to any other people.

15. Marie1

Marie1 Well Known Member Member

Not all fish are schooling fish. Corydora happen to be a species of fish that are. If kept as a single, you will hardly ever see it. It will hide, be stressed, and not really clean up the uneaten food like you want.

Fish school because there is safety in numbers. There are plenty of fish out there that do not need to be kept in schools, because they are the fish that eat the other fish. Have you ever heard of a school of snake heads? Or goliath tiger fish? Or a school of sting rays? Or some of the smaller fish. A school of killifish? Or betta? These fish do not school.

So not all fish school. Cory do. And if you don't keep them in a school your single, or pair, or trio, or whatever you keep that is not a school, will become stressed and die prematurely.

16. OP
    OP
    Linda4088

I have ony Cory in with my Guppies and he's out looking for food all the time. He's not shy and doesn't hide. I have a school of neon Tetris and a school of Harliquin Rasboras because they do feel safer in a school I disagree about the Cories. However you have to excuse me because I'm old-school. When we wouldn't put a school of Coreys in a tank because then they would have to compete for the food. One or two do fine. Where we didn't wait weeks or months to cycle a tank. And only did water changes about once a year. I've been keeping fish since the 80s. I do understand things have changed and I have changed too. I do my weekly water changes and I do cycle my tanks but I still don't lose fish. And my fish swim all over my tank and they don't hide

17. Coradee

I'm old school as well & even though we didn't have as much knowledge back then we knew shoaling fish should not be kept alone, corys can live 15/20 years, what a sad lonely life yours will have if it ever lives that long
    This is how they live in the wild, is it really kind & humane to keep one on its own?
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cWIVCdLOImw

18. DoubleDutch

I am afraid you're going totally wrong there Linda.
    Corys are social fish that show their social behaviour in (in nature enormous) shoals of their own species. They also shouldn't be the vacuumcleaners of our tanks and only feed on the left over of other tankmembers. They "deserve" to be kept in the best possible way with enough mates of their own species and their "own" high quality food. Lots of my Corys are adopted ones which arrived in a terrible condition been kept on a totally wrong diet (a shame I haven't the pics if my Yellow Paleatus that arrived more dead than alive here !!! Now a thriving beautiful male in my Paleatus herd of 9 members. You'll serious be amazed about the (social) behaviour in a bigger shoal !!
    Regards Aad

19. OP
    OP
    Linda4088

20. DoubleDutch

That's great. It has nothing to do with staying side by side btw My Paleatus aren't constantly side by side. Tetra's and other species that are at ease do neither.

Did you see this vid already ?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cWIVCdLOImw