Red Cherry Shrimp Acclimating - Very different TDS

aquachris

So I bought some red cherry shrimp from someone on aquabid, the TDS on the shrimp was in the 500's, my tanks TDS is 150. I've been drip acclimating them for almost 4 hours now, and we are just hitting about 370.... Should I worry about matching so much? I didnt expect that much of a gap.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Take ⅔rds of the container water out and you can double the speed of the drip, after 4hrs you should be done but you may be dripping to slow in your case then go for ½hr and see where you are
Are you removing water regularly from the shrimp

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Drasi said:
So I bought some red cherry shrimp from someone on aquabid, the TDS on the shrimp was in the 500's, my tanks TDS is 150. I've been drip acclimating them for almost 4 hours now, and we are just hitting about 370.... Should I worry about matching so much? I didnt expect that much of a gap.
What is the drip rate? If it's very slow maybe let it drip faster.

OP
aquachris

aquachris

I'm doing about a drip a second (which is what I've read to do).. I haven't removed water yet from the container they are in, I can certainly do that and increase the rate... and especially now that makes sense after so long. What would you recommend I increase to?

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Drasi said:
I'm doing about a drip a second (which is what I've read to do).. I haven't removed water yet from the container they are in, I can certainly do that and increase the rate... and especially now that makes sense after so long. What would you recommend I increase to?
Probably remove about half the water in their acclimation container and increase the rate to maybe 4 or 5 drops a second

richiep

Fishlore VIP
I'd have gone with AJE you should be removing water regularly for the transition to take place,

OP
aquachris

aquachris

I did drain some earlier, and increased drip rate... TDS going down at a much better rate where there is light at the end of the tunnel lol

richiep

Fishlore VIP
for future reference but its up to you!
This is the setup I use so evert 30 or so minutes at 1drip per second i have to remove water i then float the container for 10min to equalise temperature

Attachments

OP
aquachris

aquachris

Something I realized too, my 1 drop is slower... I'm using an accudrip thing (I got it with some aquarium I bought), and just occurred that my tubing is considerably smaller LOL!!!!

AJE

Fishlore VIP
I'm not as precise as you, when I acclimate shrimp I just go that looks slow/quick enough then I leave it for a couple hours, removing some water occasionally, float them then put them in the tank. I don't usually measure tds even though I probably should lol

OP
aquachris

aquachris

You all have more experience than me... I'm first time here!

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Drasi said:
You all have more experience than me... I'm first time here!
What you're doing is probably better than me, I just get lazy and I assume it's fine because it's been fine 100 times before. Test everything!

OP
aquachris

aquachris

richiep said:
Don't worry you'll learn especially here, don't hold back the questions
I've learned soooo much here, and I keep learning. This is a treasure trove of knowledge here! Thanks for your help!

AJE said:
What you're doing is probably better than me, I just get lazy and I assume it's fine because it's been fine 100 times before. Test everything!
Yeah, but it works for you and you know what your doing :) Me, I have no idea other than the research I've done. Thanks for your advice!

New Threads