Red Cherry Double Batch of Shrimplets + RCS With Excel/Ferts

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by RandomZoid, Dec 14, 2012.

1. RandomZoid

RandomZoid Valued Member Member

I was reading through another thread about keeping RCS and Excel being an issue RCS problems!!. I wanted to chime in about this on my experience.

I've had RCS for about 6 weeks in a 10 Gallon Tank. I started the tank with; seeded material, sand/gravel from other tank, 3 Longfin danios (since re-homed), a good amount of Sunset Hygro, some Corkscrew Val, Argentine Sword, and small Alternanthera Cardinalis I planted from my other tank. The Cardinalis isn't doing good in either tank.

I triple dosed Excel (Running 2 6500k 18 Watt CFLs of 10g tank) for the first month, probably for the first week I had the RCS as well. I still had algae problems with the triple excel so I reduced lighting to 2x 6500k 13 Watt CFLs. I then started only double dosing excel. I also dose Comp once a week, twice if I didn't water change that week. I do basically 50% every 2 weeks. I also dose Flourish Iron once a week and have flourish tabs in the substrate of normal gravel mixed with sand.

I wouldn't say the Shrimp are super active but 2 of the females were berried within their first week with and both just released tons of baby Shrimp, I say shrimplets but not sure if that's the right term. They all seem to be doing great. I see tons of molting, mainly from the oldest batch of shrimplets. They have already tripled is size though in about a week. The 2 day only batch is also very active already exploring the area and eating Spirulina pellets I drop in.

The older males also scale the walls a lot and jump to "flutter" through the water in the tank. I assume this is healthy behavior and it's fun to watch.

So I don't think the Excel has had any negative effects on my RCS. Even when triple dosing, they seemed very happy. Although this is my first experience with them or any shrimp, I can tell when a fish (or invertebrate) is unhappy.

Also I've counted approximately 20 visible shrimplets in the tank and it is heavily planted. How many total shrimplets do you think I have?

Here's some pics.

IMG_0004[1].JPG IMG_0006[1].JPG IMG_0009[1].JPG

Any little white blip is a baby RCS haha my camera is not the best, just off of an ITouch

2. brodylane1122

brodylane1122 Well Known Member Member

Congrats! Yes, it seems some people have no issues with ferts and shrimp while others have tons of issues. I started dosing leaf zone in my tank and have had no issues at all. As a matter of fact, my shrimp are doing great!

The only issue I've ever had was when I was doing large 25% water changes each week. I had at least one shrimp die each water change. But now that I do smaller water changes throughout the week, I've not had any issues.

I just saw my first berried female shrimp yesterday, after a long time with no babies. I'm pumped!

3. OP
    OP
    RandomZoid

RandomZoid Valued Member Member

That's sweet. yea my 50% water change should be this monday. I really should cut that down. I've been nervous about it. I can probably get away with like 2 gallons every week. Thats 20% a week in a tank with lots of plants and only RCS/MTS. I'll actually do a water test, if my nitrates are 20 or less I might just skip water change and dose Comp and top of water. Maybe .5 gallon has evaporated.

4. brodylane1122

brodylane1122 Well Known Member Member

I would definitely do at least a small water change. I think the biggest issue is temperature when doing large water changes. It's hard to get the water matched up. BUt if you do small water changes, the water will heat up much quicker. I do small room water changes with room temperature water (72). My tank is at 75, so I don't see any temperature fluctuations.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice