Red + Blue Discus...

Sabi
I went to my regular lfs today. They didnt have discus in stock but they said they said they'd get it for me by this weekend. I ordered 1 blue and 1 red discus from the selection they had. Are they colorful? And do they have different temperament? I was reading that the red is not really colorful, is this true? And by blue is it full pure blue? I meant to check on the web but i'm pressed for time so I decided to ask here. I'll get better advice anyway.

Wolfgang8810
Most discus have peacful tempemants and I don't see why a blue and red would fight. So you should bve ok on that front. Here is a website for discus . I hope this helps Good luick and I'm sure you already know that discuys need incredably clean water and are picky eaters.

Sabi
Thanks Wolf!

capekate
HI Sabi
some advice on picking out your discus that may come in handy. Sometimes we look for the largest Discus, but at times there are other things to look for as well. If the eyes on the Discus seem to be too large, then know it is stunted and not a good choice. Sometimes the stunted ones never grow and remain very small. Look for small (ish) eyes and a nice round body size.

good luck with your Discus. ;D

~ kate

Sabi
HI Sabi
some advice on picking out your discus that may come in handy. Sometimes we look for the largest Discus, but at times there are other things to look for as well. If the eyes on the Discus seem to be too large, then know it is stunted and not a good choice. Sometimes the stunted ones never grow and remain very small. Look for small (ish) eyes and a nice round body size.

good luck with your Discus. ;D

~ kate
Thanks for the info Kate! I'll be sure to remember when I get them. So I just compare the eyes to see if any are larger the most others?

capekate
When you do go and look at them when you pick yours out, and say to yourself " wow he has some large eyes!".. you will know. lol... It will be pretty obvious when you are actually looking at them, you will see what I mean. Hopefully you will find some that have nice small rounded bodies with small eyes. If the body looks out of shape or looking a little oval you won't want to buy them. Sometimes they are stunted from not getting the right foods when they are fry.
Another suggestion would be to spend some time looking online at all the photos of Discus to get the right idea of what is a good shape or not.

Best of luck,

~ kate

Dino
When purchasing a high dollar fish, I always ask to see the fish eat.

capekate

HI Dino
that is a very good point! I had two Discus that didnt eat for almost a week after bringing them home and I had to make a few calls to the LFS and from there to the breeder to find out what he was feeding them. Its a good idea to find out what they are eating as well, if its something they are used to its easier to get them to eat in a new tank.

~ kate

Rbacchiega
also look for the fin placement on the dorsal. You don't want it too far back or too far forward. A healthy discus will have a nice round forehead

Sabi
When you do go and look at them when you pick yours out, and say to yourself " wow he has some large eyes!".. you will know. lol... It will be pretty obvious when you are actually looking at them, you will see what I mean. Hopefully you will find some that have nice small rounded bodies with small eyes. If the body looks out of shape or looking a little oval you won't want to buy them. Sometimes they are stunted from not getting the right foods when they are fry.
Another suggestion would be to spend some time looking online at all the photos of Discus to get the right idea of what is a good shape or not.

Best of luck,

~ kate
I get it, thanks Kate. Only thing what with the holidays looming i'm beginning to think I might only get them next year. Not that I mind, i'm not in a hurry.

Will do Dino, Thanks!

also look for the fin placement on the dorsal. You don't want it too far back or too far forward. A healthy discus will have a nice round forehead
Okay thanks!

capekate
HI Sabi
that is a good idea to wait til the first of the year. With the holidays and all that comes with it, you may be too busy to give the extra attention your new discus tank will need. I think it is a wise choice to wait til you have the time, no sense stressing yourself over it at this time of year.

~ kate

Sabi
HI Sabi
that is a good idea to wait til the first of the year. With the holidays and all that comes with it, you may be too busy to give the extra attention your new discus tank will need. I think it is a wise choice to wait til you have the time, no sense stressing yourself over it at this time of year.

~ kate
You are right Kate! because I am going to be very occupied.

fishgirl
Discus ?

Would one Discus be Happy and Healthy in a 10G tall hex tank?

capekate
HI Fishgirl...
I'm sorry to say that a ten gal even if it was a tall one is much too small for a Discus fish. :-\ The smallest tank you can get for one, and an immature one at that.. is a 29 gallon tank.

~ kate

Sabi
Would you believe it, I'm still waiting! I asked at my lfs on thrsday what's going on, they said they got 2 sometime ago but one died and 1 was sick and they'll only be able to order more in 2 weeks! Bah!
Well anyway, I'm rather weary to get 2 after reading about all the aggression.
Would 1 be fine by himself, not lonely, Kate?

capekate
Would you believe it, I'm still waiting! I asked at my lfs on thrsday what's going on, they said they got 2 sometime ago but one died and 1 was sick and they'll only be able to order more in 2 weeks! Bah!
Well anyway, I'm rather weary to get 2 after reading about all the aggression.
Would 1 be fine by himself, not lonely, Kate?
HI Sabi
sorry to hear that your still waiting for those Discus! :-\ When you ask about one Discus, I hope its not the sick one your thinking of bringing home?
Anyway.. I think that the answer would really depend on just how many you wanted to have in the end. If you want more than two say.. I would wait til they can get them in for you. Cant this lfs place a special order for you from their breeder that is not part of their regular order of fish?
I had to move Ricky Blue, my blue diamond to a tank by himself due to the aggression from an angel fish. He was part to blame too, and I'm glad that he was sticking up for himself. but that's another story. I also have the pigeon blood by itself in another tank with another angel. So far, so good there. So do they get lonely? I guess they do. But with some dither fish in the tank with him they can be ok.
IMO the only way to try to get around the aggression is to buy the amount of Discus you want at the same time and get very small juvies all around the same size. They are cichlids and they act like them, so aggression will happen regardless. And hope for the best.
I can't say that I would recommend having only one discus. I would recommend separating Discus if there was a problem. If I had my way my Discus would be together in the tank, I just can't see it happening tho.
I have been tempted to get another one so that Ricky blue isn't all by himself, but I'm also afraid of what may happen. That is why I am off to the LFS this am to pick up either one honey gourami or the sunset gourami, so that he is not the only fish in the tank. I think that is what would be the lonely part, being the only fish in the tank. I wish I can give you an exact answer, but I just cant. They are a community fish that feel more secure around other Discus. But sometimes... that just can't happen. :-\
Hope I was some help for you...

~ kate

Sabi
In Reply to my getting the sick one. No fear of that, no. Not that they have it any longer, at least I didn't see it there.

I wouldnt want more than 2 discus, and what i'm afraid might happen is that those 2 will start fighting among themselves. That's why I thought getting one would be safer....?
I also have an angel in that tank and am hoping against hope that they won't clash.
And yip, i'm getting them both together WHEN I get them.

It was a special order the last time since they only those 2, and they say they won't be able to order for 2 weeks, never thought to ask why.....

Thanks for the help Kate!

capekate
HI Sabi
what size tank are you going to put the Discus in with those Angels? is it the 67g tank? I'm hoping you won't have the aggression between the angels and Discus like I had. :-\ and that was a 55 gallon tank. I guess it really depends on the fish, the other angel and discus are in a 29 gallon tank, they get along ok for the most part, but the pigeon blood chases the angel away when its feeding time.
IMO if I had to do it again, I would do only a discus species tank with small dither fish, no angels with them. I have had to move these angels and discus all around trying to find a solution to the aggression.

Sabi
H'lo Kate
Ya it is the 67gal tank. But there is a chance that the angel won't be there (tho there will be other smaller cichlids in the future) as I just reintroduced her and the male into the males tank and they've been lip locking for a while. Really really hope they work it out between themselves.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
streetdog
  • Question
Replies
Views
DizzyFish77
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies