Red Blotch Disease in New Corydoras?

Hi there,

I purchased 6 Julii cory catfish a couple days ago from Petsmart (we don’t have many options where I live) and when I added them to my tank, I noticed one had a red mark on its side and was acting lethargic. It was dead the next day. I figured it had an injury. Fast forward to today, I lost another cory cat— with the same red blotch. Upon looking it up it looks like Red Blotch disease, which I have never dealt with before.
I ordered Tetra Lifeguard in hopes that will clear things up.
Any advice??
I do not have a quarantine tank so I cannot move them. (I know, I know.)

Solution
They are and I like the name C.trilineatus even more hahaha.

Hoping you'll solve the issue.
There is a lot.unknown about Red Blotch but suspecion is that sometimes Corys don't cope with the unbalanced microlife in substrate. It often occures in new set ups or changed substrate.

Therefor I always advise to lt the substrate "ripen" a bit before adding Corys.
Waterchanges and Melafix are know to be of help. Is the tank / substrate relatively new ? BTW : Those will be C. trilineatus actually.
The tank and substrate were started in March. I allowed 2 months of a fishless cycle to get parameters to adequate fish-keeping level. Melafix... I'll try to pick some up on amazon.
I saw a lot of information saying they were likely to not be true Julii cats, but I thought a large retailer like Petsmart wouldn't try to pull that. That's okay! They're still beautiful.

They are and I like the name C.trilineatus even more hahaha.

Hoping you'll solve the issue.
There is a lot.unknown about Red Blotch but suspecion is that sometimes Corys don't cope with the unbalanced microlife in substrate. It often occures in new set ups or changed substrate.

Therefor I always advise to lt the substrate "ripen" a bit before adding Corys.

Solution

Latest threads

Top Bottom