2 Gallon Tank Red blood vessels all over my plecos body!

Khlta86

Hi Everyone, I need your help please
Just noticed alarming red color(red blood vessels) all over my plecos body specially his mouth his head and chest, his stomach is turning a little darker and he likes to stay on the aquarium thermometer for a long time !
what should I do?

Best Answer - View FishGirl38's answer

FishGirl115

Demeter

FishGirl115

Demeter said:
Need to know water parameters. Sound like a water problem to me so please check ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Also tank size, temperature, and tank mates is helpful information too.

When in doubt, do a 50% water change. Always good advice for fish who are ill or behaving oddly.
I sure hope the two gallon label before title isn't correct... OP's aquarium details say they don't know about cycle either

Kribensis27

FishGirl38

Well, he IS an albino pleco. The albinism trait allows us to see more of his insides because of the lack of pigment in his flesh. It's normal to see a bit of a purpley-pinky on his stomach, as well as some slight red coloration around his gills.

At most, if it was anything problematic, if you're able to SEE the blood vessels in his body, it could have something to do with the amount of oxygen in his blood? (sort of a far fetch...but that'd be the only thing I could imagine would cause something like that) - and there is a working air stone right next to him so - I'm doubting that is actually the case.

Often-times, when we get 'blushing' angelfish in stock, customers will ask why their gills are so red and if it's problematic. The reason the gills are so red in 'blushing' angels is because usually, they have this 'transparent' type of trait present in their flesh - SO, the red we see at the gill site is actually the gills underneath the gill plate - something we don't normally see with a fish who has pigment.

Knowing where the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are reading at will help us rule out any water parameter issues. How old is the tank, and how many fish are there inside? A water change is usually helpful, but in a new tank, it can be tricky to get water changes right..

julifhy

I can't really see what you're talking about and I don't know much about plecos unfortunately, but a 2 gallon tank is wayyyy too small for the majority of fish. Especially plecos (and I see that the pleco isn't the only fish in the tank either??). Plecos can get as big as 1-2 feet and their minimum tank size is 80 gallons. I also noticed you don't no about the nitrogen cycle. That's not good.
Just in case, could you fill out the emergency template?

Edit: If it is an albino pleco, then it gets as big as 4-5 inches and needs a 30+ tank

Kribensis27

julifhy said:
I can't really see what you're talking about and I don't know much about plecos unfortunately, but a 2 gallon tank is wayyyy too small for the majority of fish. Especially plecos (and I see that the pleco isn't the only fish in the tank??). Plecos can get as big as 1-2 feet and their minimum tank size is 80 gallons. I also noticed you don't no about the nitrogen cycle. That's not good.
I think 2 gallons is too small for any fish but fry.

julifhy

Kribensis27 said:
I think 2 gallons is too small for any fish but fry.
I agree. I was typing fast and thinking of shrimp lol.

Kribensis27

If you truly don’t know about the nitrogen cycle, I strongly suggest you at the very least just do a quick google search to learn the basics. And I agree with everyone here, 2 gallons is far too small of a tank, which would be causing the cloudy water. The red also sounds like ammonia or nitrite poisoning, which would also be caused by this tiny tank. You could also talk to mattgirl if you want a more in-depth description of the nitrogen cycle.

mattgirl

Kribensis27 said:
You could also talk to mattgirl if you want a more in-depth description of the nitrogen cycle.
Welcome to Fishlore Khlta86 We will do our best to help you out.

We all need to give Khlta86 time to answer some questions before we can help. We do need to know if we are actually talking about a pleco in a 2 gallon tank. I could be just a mis-type. What we are seeing may not even be a problem. As FishGirl38 pointed out. What we are seeing may be totally normal for an albino pleco.

Kribensis27

mattgirl said:
Welcome to Fishlore Khlta86 We will do our best to help you out.

We all need to give Khlta86 time to answer some questions before we can help. We do need to know if we are actually talking about a pleco in a 2 gallon tank. I could be just a mis-type. What we are seeing may not even be a problem. As FishGirl38 pointed out. What we are seeing may be totally normal for an albino pleco.
True, I think we’re all just freaking out because we saw a 2 gallon label and panicked.
(Or at least that’s what happened to me)

FishGirl38

Oooo, oh, I don't know what got over me but I assumed i was looking at a BN pleco right off the bat.
I didnt notice the 2G label at all at first.

IF we're talkin bout a 2G tank and a pleco...

If you love the look of plecos - you're going to need a larger tank.
Clown plecos max out around 2 inches - in a 10Gallon they would do great. That's about the only 'tiny' pleco option I know of though - next to the 'dwarf pleco' - otocinclus.

1 otocinclus would be 'okay' in this size tank but....nerite snails would be infinitely better than any fish for an algae eater in a tank this size (or amano shrimp, but even they get a little big for this tank).

(Relevant...even if its not a pleco and a 2G tank - the concepts still apply)

I agree with Krib, the cloudiness is most likely something to do with your nitrogen cycle (likely ammonia or nitrite spike) and IF there is any increased redness in him (I can't really see it in the picture but if you're noticing a difference..) - it could be due to ammonia or nitrite toxicity.

Fish 'go to the bathroom' in their environment, urine is ammonia, ammonia is toxic (even to us). Luckily, there are 2 colonies of beneficial bacteria that move in and naturally 'eat' this ammonia. It takes time for these bacteria to develop (thus is 'cycling' the tank) - the cloudiness is likely the bacteria multiplying in the water column. Once the first bacteria colony 'eat's the ammonia...it 'goes to the bathroom' and expels nitrite. Nitrite is toxic too - this is where the second colony comes in to eat that - it's 'waste' by-product is nitrate. Nitrate is non-toxic to fish and only really feeds algae - thus signalling the end of your nitrogen cycle.

Do a water change - if it is ammonia or nitrite toxicity, than you need to dilute those concentrations within the tank by removing a large portion of water (but not all of it...you still need good bacteria and good bacteria food in the tank) and replacing it with clean, dechlorinated tap water will dilute the concentrations. You may need to do another water change tomorrow and/or the next day depending on fast the ammonia increases.

The more fish + the smaller the tank = the faster things will become toxic.

Where are ammonia, nitrite, nitrate testing? If you don't have a test kit, it's not the end of the world, but you need one, the good ones (api freshwater master test kit) are ~20$ on amazon - it'll last you ~4 years and give you thousands of tests...)

How new is the tank? Or when was the last time you did a water change?
This'll give you an idea of how fast the ammonia is increasing - if you set this tank up 2 days ago and it's already at a toxic point, you'll need to do water changes and even remove fish to get things to a stable point.

How many fish are in this 2G tank? Is it only the 1.5 in pleco? or are there others? How many others?
The old school rule of thumb for stocking is 1inch of fish per 1 gallon of tank water. That means technically you can keep this pleco and one other fish in this 2G tank. But Stop Right There. This pleco will actually grow to about 18in long if given the space to do so - and that goes against our rule. This is important because bigger fish will produce more waste by nature, and a 2G tank simply cannot afford the waste that a potential 6in (even) juv. pleco will give off, let alone the 18in adult (wouldn't grow 18in in 2g but you catch my drift) - they just don't balance.

Overstocking Early - New Tank Syndrome
New tank syndrome happens when a brand new tank is stocked with too many fish way too early on in it's cycle. What happens (what could be happening in your tank), is that the ammonia (from all the fish continuously passing food through their system) will rise way too high for the developing (small amount) of bacteria to consume at a healthy rate. The ammonia just overpowers the bacteria and the fish don't fair well.

I'm not sure if this is a new tank, but I'm sort of assuming it is with all of this.

If it's not a new tank, if you've cleaned it recently or added more fish - you could be experiencing an ammonia/nitrite spike just like in a new tank. Except you already have a stock of bacteria in the tank, will need to dilute the additional excess - but the bacteria should catch up shortly after so long as there is enough bacterial media within the tank for the fish.

^^^That's what will happen with a new tank too - just...because you DON'T have an initial stock of bacteria, it will take LONGER for the ammonia to stay low without you having to physically dilute it yourself. You'll just have to do more water changes, but eventually, the bacteria will kick in - so long as there isn't wayyy too many fish within the tank already.

I dont recommend this, but Prime by Seachem will 'detoxify' ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, novaqua plus by kordon will help with nitrite poisoning, and Methylene blue can help with nitrate poisoning.
EDIT: I do recommend prime, love prime. I dont recommend using products as band-aids. A water change will likely help regardless of what size or type of pleco - Lots of assumptions there..
I hope that exposed OP to something new if anything.

Rockymountainstream

Khlta86 said:
Hi Everyone, I need your help please
Just noticed alarming red color(red blood vessels) all over my plecos body specially his mouth his head and chest, his stomach is turning a little darker and he likes to stay on the aquarium thermometer for a long time !
what should I do?
Welcome to fishlore.

Kribensis27

Rockymountainstream said:
Welcome to fishlore.
The unfailing welcome committee. I’ve seen you on every first post since I joined!
(Which, to be fair, was very recently)

Rockymountainstream

Kribensis27 said:
The unfailing welcome committee. I’ve seen you on every first post since I joined!
(Which, to be fair, was very recently)
It is nice to feel accepted from time to time

Aside from any water problem. I can't see anything wrong in the pic. It looks like my albino pleco. Fishgirl115 is right about the transparency of them. I had a similar post with mine. There was a blackish spot on the bottom of it. After using a magnifying glass I fieger out it was his guts. That being said I would double check your water quality.

DoubleDutch

Aside from waterissues I like to add the surroundings / environment doesn't look to be okay either. It clings to the heather cause there doesn't seem to be another hidingplace. So I guess it will be stressed as well.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom