Question Red Blood Parrot and Mbuna

Jilly428

Reaction score
My original plan was to have a Mbuna tank. I have one electric yellow as of now, but I’ve changed my mind. I want 2 Blood parrots instead. I have a 55g. I don’t want to get rid of the one electric yellow I have. Will they be okay together? Or will one or the other kill each other?

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Chances are they will be able to coexist. An aggressive adult Yellow Lab might be hard on the BP's. A future concern to be aware of.

BobbyTez

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I got 4 electric yellows and 4 blue demasonI cichlids with 4 clown loaches and 3 Bala sharks with 2 blood parrots and the have no problems living together it seams like they get agresive with there own kind BP somtimes fight each other the demasonI fight each other and so on sometimes they might give a short chase if in there area but not a full attack

LaurenMA

Reaction score
Jilly428 said:
My original plan was to have a Mbuna tank. I have one electric yellow as of now, but I’ve changed my mind. I want 2 Blood parrots instead. I have a 55 gallon. I don’t want to get rid of the one electric yellow I have. Will they be okay together? Or will one or the other kill each other?
I had terrible luck, I had 2 mbunas and 2 blood parrots. At first it was fine, but it only lasted about 2 months. Once the mbunas got bigger they attacked them, tattered their fins and it looked like they chewed some of their skin off.. trying to post a pic
Screenshot_20200201-041247_Gallery.jpg

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BobbyTez said:
I got 4 electric yellows and 4 blue demasonI cichlids with 4 clown loaches and 3 Bala sharks with 2 blood parrots and the have no problems living together it seams like they get agresive with there own kind BP somtimes fight each other the demasonI fight each other and so on sometimes they might give a short chase if in there area but not a full attack

Wow, all in a 55?

LaurenMA

Reaction score
BobbyTez said:
Yeah, I think too that since I didn't have enough in the tank, it was easy for the parrots to get singled out. One of my mbunas tries to fight everyone too. One of my other fish keeps him in check though.

Lol blood parrots make me laugh so much, they are just so derpy. They are aggressive enough to **** off another fish, but yet so timid that makes them an easy target. Then when they try to "fight" each other because their silly mouths they pretty much only smack there face against the other one

New Threads