Red Belly Jack Dempsey?

Meeklymaggie
Yesterday my baby Jack Dempsey was normal colored. Today her belly and lips have turned bright red! Her dorsal fin and tail have some red coloring in them too. Is this normal? She's my first Dempsey.

20180315_202002.jpg
20180315_202504(0).jpg

Demeter
Meeklymaggie
About a month ago. Lfs said it was a Dempsey.

SixThreeOh
Looks like a jewel.

Meeklymaggie
You're right... I looked up Jewel cichlids. She looks exactly like them... especially now that she has the red. Guess I need to go research them and make sure I'm caring for her correctly and that she is a she... I'm a little upset at the lfs now...

Demeter
Lol yeah I've bought miss labeled fish before. The fact that it isn't a dempsy is probably a good thing considering you've got it with corydoras. The corydoras would more than likely get bullied by a JD or even eaten.

Meeklymaggie
They are big corys. Was hoping that would keep them safe. Guess now they will be, lol.

Bry
I've had jewels, from what I read when they're ready to mate they turn red. I had one go almost completely red and he/she killed a convict that was bigger than them.

Meeklymaggie
I only have the one... no one for her to breed with. Just turned red today out of the blue. Looked her up. Apparently she is a she and a turquoise blue jewel. She's beautiful! Sad she's not a Dempsey, I've always wanted one... but she just might be prettier! She has gotten a bit more aggressive since she turned red. Been chasing the kisser and the barbs more! Are they even compatible with kissers? I got the kisser cause I heard they played well with Dempseys. Hope I don't have to take it back! I may have gotten all the wrong fish. I know the barbs were a bad recommendation... I had 10... now there are 4... miss jewel has been picking them off. Was told the baby Dempsey wouldn't be able to catch them for awhile... but she's not a Dempsey.

Bry
Even if there isn't a male to mate with, it's kind of their form of going into heat so to say. She may be trying to prep where to put the eggs and killing anyone that comes near that spot. That's what was happening in my tank before I (sadly) took them back to the store.

Meeklymaggie
Even if there isn't a male to mate with, it's kind of their form of going into heat so to say. She may be trying to prep where to put the eggs and killing anyone that comes near that spot. That's what was happening in my tank before I (sadly) took them back to the store.
Good to know!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mud-Fate
Replies
Views
hampalong
Replies
Views
TacoLoco7
Replies