Red Bellied Pirhana

1. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

anybody know if they perfer sand or gravel

2. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

I don't think they prefer either, maybe someone else can confirm that...

3. Jon Well Known Member Member

i have never heard of a preference. try to replicate their home to make it as close to nature as possible.

4. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

well i have found it would be easier to clean if there is gravel but now i need to find out if they like real plants or rocks

5. Jon Well Known Member Member

idk my neighbor has normal pirhanas ill try to ask him if he keeps them with plants

6. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

ok that would be cool well i actually am helping whatsafish7 because he just got a 40 gallon long and is going to put a red-bellied pirhana in it

i went over his house today and we worked on the tank a little so far it has blue gravel like mine a filter heater a thermometer a sucken anchor and two powerheads still a work in progess

maybe we can convince his sister to take some pictures of his tank and put it on here

7. whatsafish7 Member Member

hello. My tank is a working progress because it has nio lid but after tomorrow it should have two 20 gallon lids. After that i have to buy plants some more decorations and the pirrahna. How do i put a picture of it on here ?

8. Jon Well Known Member Member

There are some good DIY lids you can make if you dont need it wired with lights... they cost 1$ per lid to make lol! if your interested ill try to find the article for you

9. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

take a picture with a digi camera then go to the pictures section and expierement greg

take a picture first though show them your nice tank

10. whatsafish7 Member Member

ok ill puit my tank on since im about to watch 24 and house. I am going to buy 2 20 gallon lids which will cost $70 and then i need to buy plants and ornam,ents

11. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

are you goiong to try and put a picture of your tank up greg

12. whatsafish7 Member Member

tomorrow i guess

13. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

oh why not now during the advertisments

14. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

15. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

16. Jon Well Known Member Member

yes i think so

make sure the live food you give them does not contain diseases that you could potentially introduce to your aquarium

you can usually buy feeder fish at your store

17. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

ya but then you have to quartine them for 4-6 weeks i was just wondering if i could give him some of my guppies or if they arent food for them

18. Jon Well Known Member Member

i think that would be fine but im not an expert

19. whatsafish7 Member Member

thanks gunnie for the leaks and everybody for the information later today i will show you a picture of my tank thanks again

20. fishlover Initiate Member

piranhas will destory most of the plants especially when they get bigger.
    so if you decide to put real plants in the tank make sure pick the plants that can handle abuse.
    Piranhas are ok with both sand or gravel, I don't think they care but with sand you'll see all the bio-waste on the surface layer. gravel will have more gap in between to hide all those waste.
    if you'll use gravel then I would recommend a undergravel filter to keep the water clean since piranhas eats meat/feeder, which means lots of bio-waste will sink to the bottom of your tank.

guppies are ok when the piranhas are small, you can try to get large size feeder gold fish when your piranhas get larger or feed them some meat once a while.
    I would also recommend getting a small tank for your feeder fishes because they may carry diseases or parasites from pet store or wherever you buy them from. with a smaller tank you can treat the feeders or make sure they are free of those bad stuff before you introduce them to your piranhas.