Red Bellied Piranahs?

1. JRD6122 Initiate Member

Just wondering how easy it is to care of the fish. I've heard that they will eat anything they see. Don't know how true that is. Also I was wondering if any other fish could live in a fish tank with them.
    Finally does anyone know where they can be purchased and how much they are sold for.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. skar Member Member

You need a large tank and would be heavily planted. Other fish I believe will be food maybe a pleco may work.??.. I've never had piranhas but I had an offer for them I turned down. I suggest making sure that is what you really want.

3. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

They are typical characins. Shy and skittish. They do best in large planted tanks with a descent size school.They do not eat anything they see. If it is larger then them, they will generally leave them alone. But keep in mind they will grow to 10" to 12" as adults.They can be kept with other fish, but, that would require a very large tank so it is not often done. They are illegal to keep in many states. You should check to see if they are legal where you live. Small juveniles are sold for $3 or $4 a piece where I live.

4. Anthony10 Member Member

I've had piranhas in the past... Very very skittish... And I mean VERY skittish... I would just walk by the tank and they would all go head-on into the wall! I fed mine minnows, but during winter it turns really hard because all the bait shops normally sell sick fish! But make sure you feed them! I originally bought 5. When I left to go on vacation I came back to 3 1/2 piranhas! No joke! The piranhas started eating the bodies of the other piranhas! Then my cat took out one, and they ate the last one, I ended up selling the last one around a year ago, very fun fish, and it's fun seeing people's reactions when you say you own piranhas! I'd go for it, as long as you have a 100-150 gallon tank for a school of 5-7! I bought my five for 25$ Make sure it's well planted and that you feed them feeders every 5-7 days! Good luck!

-Anthony

5. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

100-150 gallons is too small for a group of 10-12" piranhas. This is why they way each other. I would say more than 200 gallons is essential, long term.

They're quite boring to keep. If they're not being skittish and scared, they just stand still most of the time.

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

7. Anthony10 Member Member

Oh, and also, Piranhas can live up to 15 years, so make sure your dedicated to keeping them if you do! I bought mine when they were and inch long, 5 years later and he was 6 inches long! Not a very fast grower.

-Anthony