Red Banana Lilly Leaf.

fishes were wishes

18670850_10213108735343819_7371031740174343223_n.jpg
I've had these plants for four weeks now. I realize that I didn't know what I was doing when I picked out the substrate. One of them seemed to be growing a lot, the other two haven't rooted or grown any leaves. They had no leaves on them at all when I got them. This one leaf is reddish brown. Is that normal?

I have a low light setup, just a florescent bulb in a twenty gallon tank, which is probably not enough. I am also using API leaf zone.

Some of the other plants which are supposed to be red are losing color and spotting.

18700222_10213108735663827_6005354795902582990_n.jpg

KinsKicks

Hello!

My first thought is your substrate. It looks quite heavy and large for them, making it difficult to much roots through especially if you have a more "delicate plant" Your banana plant looks like it is doing okay. As for the other plants, plants are known to suck nutrients from other/older leaves in order to promote the growth of new leaves, especially in the first couple of weeks in a new aquarium where it is more efficient to invest in new leaves that are going to be acclimated to your tank conditions rather than investing in the older leaves that aren't. I notice in your green plant, there are new leaves growing from the node which means new growth is occurring which is a good thing. You only have to be worried when there isn't new growth and the plant is just dying as a whole.

For the red plants, it is losing the red color because those plans need a bit of iron in their ferts to promote their red color. So you may notice new growth turning green, as there is no iron and/or brown (brown=not doing as well) So you may want to invest in an appropriate fert for this reason as a supplement as well.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

fishes were wishes

I kind of am stuck with the substrate I chose, it was kind of expensive and it would be very difficult to change any how. The fertilizer says it is Soluble Potash (K20) 3.0% and Iron .1% Chelated Iron.

I just planted the runner that was growing on the sword in the background.

KinsKicks

You don't have to worry too much and I understand the difficulty of changing substrates. It'll eventually take root. If you really wanted to amp up the iron, you can always buy an iron-enriched root tab so you can spot feed the red plant without subjugation get entire tank to it.

Shardicle

Yeah I go with Kins.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Grimgore
Replies
Views
MD_Plants
Replies
Views
angelcraze