Red and white striped shrimp Question

1. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I'm seeing them in a lot of pictures but don't know their name. They are red and white striped. Can they be bred to red cherry shrimp? Then of course should they be bred to red cherry shrimp?

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

3. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

cool but do you know the name? I think it's its own species, like Armano or Ghost. I found them they are red crystal shrimp thank you

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

5. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

My guess would be Crystal Red Shrimp ( CRS ) too. They aren't cheap, but very cool little shrimp.

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

They're crystal red shrimp, they're a bit more fussy about water conditions than cherry shrimp & aren't such prolific breeders. I was never very successful with them but my crystals blacks breed well for me.
    You can keep them with cherry shrimp as they won't interbreed

7. Taitertot Member Member

I'm looking to start breeding crystal black shrimp to start a biotope, and actually was wondering that if they are easier to breed than crs. Any other pointers, and do you need to do anything special to make the water softer?

8. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I read that if you add Driftwood, it'll soften the water. I don't know,.

9. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

My crystal blacks are in one of my cory tanks, there's driftwood & oak leaves in it which the shrimp love, apart from that I don't do anything special for them.

One of the babies shadowing an adult

[​IMG]

10. Taitertot Member Member

Thanks I completely forgot about using wood, I was thinking peat but that sounds like the filter would get clogged quick and and hard to maintain. I'm still deciding between breeding crystal black shrimp or vampire crabs, but i'm leaning towards cbs because I've called around looking and can't find any and the last place I asked said they are even looking for a local supplier for crs or CBS, so I might get some online. How many months does it take to get a colony if 50-100 out of 10 do you think?