Red and white striped shrimp Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by Linda4088, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Linda4088

Linda4088Valued MemberMember

I'm seeing them in a lot of pictures but don't know their name. They are red and white striped. Can they be bred to red cherry shrimp? Then of course should they be bred to red cherry shrimp?

2. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Found this pretty cool inter breeding chart on planet inverts:

3. OP
    OP
    Linda4088

cool but do you know the name? I think it's its own species, like Armano or Ghost. I found them they are red crystal shrimp thank you

4. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Had to google it.

:) I don't know that much about shrimp.
    Maybe Crystal Red Shrimp

5. Marie1

Marie1Well Known MemberMember

My guess would be Crystal Red Shrimp ( CRS ) too. They aren't cheap, but very cool little shrimp.

6. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

They're crystal red shrimp, they're a bit more fussy about water conditions than cherry shrimp & aren't such prolific breeders. I was never very successful with them but my crystals blacks breed well for me.
    You can keep them with cherry shrimp as they won't interbreed

7. TaitertotValued MemberMember

I'm looking to start breeding crystal black shrimp to start a biotope, and actually was wondering that if they are easier to breed than crs. Any other pointers, and do you need to do anything special to make the water softer?

8. OP
    OP
    Linda4088

I read that if you add Driftwood, it'll soften the water. I don't know,.

9. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

My crystal blacks are in one of my cory tanks, there's driftwood & oak leaves in it which the shrimp love, apart from that I don't do anything special for them.

One of the babies shadowing an adult

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  10. TaitertotValued MemberMember

Thanks I completely forgot about using wood, I was thinking peat but that sounds like the filter would get clogged quick and and hard to maintain. I'm still deciding between breeding crystal black shrimp or vampire crabs, but i'm leaning towards cbs because I've called around looking and can't find any and the last place I asked said they are even looking for a local supplier for crs or CBS, so I might get some online. How many months does it take to get a colony if 50-100 out of 10 do you think?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice