Red and blue Columbian Tetras

Vivo

Reaction score
I have only 3 red and blue Columbians and one is a bully to the rest of my community tank. If I get 3-4 more, will they stop being so aggressive and piggish. They are the fastest and eat all the food! :(. Having trouble getting more. I have one diamond, 7 neons and 3 black skirts (these are aggressive too). I want a peaceful tank; I have a 32 gallon tall hexagon I inherited. Ideally, I'd like top column, middle and bottom dwellers. Should I give away my columbians and black skirts and start over? I was thinking 6 diamonds, keeping my neons, and... suggestions for top dwellers? Black neons? silver hatches? Harlequin rasboras? I'd like some color.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
All tetras (as far as I know) do better in larger groups. Six is often given as the minimum but I prefer eight, and more is always better. That will likely help with aggression toward other fish in the tank, but it won't help with them eating faster than other fish.

Black neons are great fish, and one of my favorite tetras, along with serpae tetras. Since you mentioned color you might want to consider serpaes. I have 16 of them in my 40 gallon tank and am thinking about getting more. They look especially good in planted tanks.

If you don't care for some of your fish there's nothing wrong with re-homing them. I did a lot of that with my first tank (the 40 gallon breeder) until I got it where I'm happy with it. By the way, fewer kinds of fish with larger numbers of each kind is usually better than many kinds with just a few of each (though I know from personal experience how tempting it is to have a lot of different kinds of fish).

OP
V

Vivo

Reaction score
JettsPapa said:
All tetras (as far as I know) do better in larger groups. Six is often given as the minimum but I prefer eight, and more is always better. That will likely help with aggression toward other fish in the tank, but it won't help with them eating faster than other fish.

Black neons are great fish, and one of my favorite tetras, along with serpae tetras. Since you mentioned color you might want to consider serpaes. I have 16 of them in my 40 gallon tank and am thinking about getting more. They look especially good in planted tanks.

If you don't care for some of your fish there's nothing wrong with re-homing them. I did a lot of that with my first tank (the 40 gallon breeder) until I got it where I'm happy with it. By the way, fewer kinds of fish with larger numbers of each kind is usually better than many kinds with just a few of each (though I know from personal experience how tempting it is to have a lot of different kinds of fish).
Thanks for your understanding. This is my first. I inherited the tank and fish and then found out I cared about what fish, lol. I think the pet store is tired of my changing my mind but there is so much misinformation and the clerk are more ignorant than me. It is tempting to get the variety and that's why I'm thinking about what level they swim since I have a tall tank. I feel bad rehoming, but I'm not happy with the situation. I inherited 2 serpea tetras, but one was so mean, I got rid of him before I knew about schooling. Do your neons swim on the top column?

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Colombians are one of my all time favorite Tetras. Upon maturity they take on a Piranha shape w/ deep blue & bright red coloration.
If you pick up a few more, a rouge dominate male will likely claim a small territory, while the rest will loosely school.
It's good that your Columbians are aggressive eaters. It indicates good health. Try feeding at opposite ends simultaneously. That should ensure all fish have an opportunity to eat.

New Threads