Red Algae?

Eskielvr

Valued Member
Reaction score
I updated my lighting system, using a Coralife strip light with 50/50 light bulbs. An algae boom was expected, but now I'm finding dark, burgandy colored algae. What is it and why all of a sudden did it come? Is it harmful? And will the Ottos eat it? I was always under the impression that red algae comes before green algae, and once you have green algae that means your tank is mature.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My guess would be you are talking about brush algae:

Eskielvr

Valued Member
Reaction score
The pictures matched what my Anubias Nana leaves look like, as well as my filter, driftwood, and little rock cave. How is this type of algae formed? Obviously I've never seen it before until I upgraded my lighting systme to 65 watts with an Actcintic Blue 03 Bulb and the 10,000 degree K bulb.

I have 2 Otos in the tank and 1 Cherry Red shrimp. Will they eat this type of algae? If they do, they're not doing a very good job since it's not getting removed. How can I remove it? I don't want to cut my Anubias leaves. Besides, even if I did cut them, wouldn't the algae just grow on different leaves then? Then I'd end up with a plant with no leaves.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You can try removing the affected plants from the tank and soaking them in a solution of 1 part bleach, 19 parts water for up to 2 minutes, then immediately put them into some dechlorinated water and rinse, rinse, rinse. See if any of the algae will come off after bleaching, and after excessive rinsing, put them back in the tank. They may look puny for a while, but the algae is should come off the plants. I don't know why you are getting this type of algae. Butterfly might be able to help you on this one.

Eskielvr

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'd rather not disturb the plants. They're already rooted all the way down to the bottom of the tank, and then some, and have multiple rhizomes. Trying to replant them again would be a real challenge. I hope someone can respond to why I'm getting this type of algae so I might be able to try and eliminate the cause.

Also, the green algae that's stuck thickly onto the glass and parts of the rock cave (you have to use a razor blade to remove it, and even with a razor it takes a long time to get it off, it's that tough) isn't getting eaten by the Otos. Or at least if they are eating it, you couldn't tell. I noticed today one of my Otos was feeding on a huge piece of flake food I dropped in for my Cory. Is this unusual?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom