Red Algae???

Tpane27

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Anyone know anything about red algae? It pops up in my tank randomly. I thought I got rid of it by now but it still comes back slowly.

Nameer Khan

Reaction score
I’ve never heard of red algae, if it’s like most algae, it’s arrived due to over nutrition in the water. Make sure your not over feeding or overdosing on ferts.

OP
T

Tpane27

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don’t use any ferts just prime for water changes

fjh

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am currently battling black beard algae in one tank (despite its name, it is in the red algae family). I've found breaking up the photo period helped a lot (I did 3 sessions of 3hrs a day with 2hrs off in between for about 2 weeks), but it didn't completely eliminate it. I did a hydrogen peroxide treatment and that killed 99% of the algae, but some of my plants didn't like it either. So now I'm using excel to get rid of any algae that tries to return.

OP
T

Tpane27

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
fjh said:
I am currently battling black beard algae in one tank (despite its name, it is in the red algae family). I've found breaking up the photo period helped a lot (I did 3 sessions of 3hrs a day with 2hrs off in between for about 2 weeks), but it didn't completely eliminate it. I did a hydrogen peroxide treatment and that killed 99% of the algae, but some of my plants didn't like it either. So now I'm using excel to get rid of any algae that tries to return.
I’ve read good and bad things about excel I’m not sure what to believe

New Threads