Question Red Algae..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do0kski

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Really quick question. What type of algae is this? I'm actually a algae fan(besides free floating obviously), makes the tank look more natural and over all more awesome to look at. My side walls are caked in it. However I know that certain types of algae can actually be harmful bacteria.

If this is safe I'm going to grow it and try locating it to other spots in the tank.

What yous think?

15507041978272813880455531650221.jpg

Reactions: Tez

K’s fish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My first thought was black bears algae but I’m starting to think it might be a type of brown diatom type of algae instead. I’m not sure if it’s harmful or not though.

My first thought was black bears algae but I’m starting to think it might be a type of brown diatom type of algae instead. I’m not sure if it’s harmful or not though.
By the way I meant black beard not black bear, sorry about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Do0kski

Do0kski

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Looks luck brush algae, but it's normally grey or dark green. Turning red is normally a sign it is dead or dying.
Awe that's sad. I thought red was a odd color for freshwater. I was hoping that the light was helping it turn red. I started noticing it about 3 weeks ago and it is growing.

K’s fish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Awe that's sad. I thought red was a odd color for freshwater. I was hoping that the light was helping it turn red. I started noticing it about 3 weeks ago and it is growing.
That's interesting, if what Fahn said is true and it is suppose to be dead it would be interesting to kept up to date on if it is still growing!

OP
Do0kski

Do0kski

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So, thought I'd update this. Seems like it's growing and thriving. Starting to pop up in other places too. I actually really like it!

IMG_20190320_1824440.jpg

IMG_20190320_1825028.jpg

IMG_20190320_1825552.jpg

Hmmmmmm.....

OP
Do0kski

Do0kski

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That's really cool! Now I'm really interested in what exactly it is.
I agree!! Doesn't seem like it's really hurting anything. It's growing only on plant leafs that are dying and need to be cut, but not quite there. Any healthy leafs don't have a spot on it. Here's a pic of my shrimp hanging out on the drift wood which is also covered with it.

FB_IMG_1553478274483.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 30 61.2%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 10 20.4%

Top Bottom