Question Recycling tank water (drip system)

jake37

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So - I have a question and it is a technical one for wizards. If I were to design tanks around a drip system and send the outflow through resin to remove particles in the water would that make the water clean enough then to send back to the tank ? (for minerals i would be adding some tap water to this recycle water - as the tank target hardness would be tds 20 (delicate sa fishes including discus).

The secondary question is recycling the water better (given the cost of resin) than just using fresh water run through an ro system (the reason i don't use ro for recycling is lack of pressure that most ro system require).

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Depending on the resin yes it would. As far as cost effectiveness, that's more of a toss up. You could use a piston driven pump like they use in RVs to get around the pressure problem. It all depends on how "dirty" the water you are trying to clean is. I kinda see it working great at first, but becoming exponentially worse over time without adding new water to the system. I use anoxic filtration along with plants to keep my nitrates down. A freshwater "refugium" of sorts might be a more cost effective amd more effective system to accomplish your goals. At least in the long term.

OP
jake37

jake37

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well the water would be fairly clean to begin with - this is for a hypothetical tank - my guess is nitrates would run sub 10 but there are more than just nitrate as a concern. One advantage of reusing the tank water would be that it is a lot closer to target condition than tap water - if the tank target is 15 tds I would presume that the build-up per week would be less than 10 tds so we're talking about taking 20 to 25 tds water and cleaning it than starting with tap water which is 115-125.

New Threads