Recycled glass

1. Tam9674

Tam9674 Valued Member Member

I just purchased a 55g tank and am looking at cheaper alternatives for the substrate. I am in Canada and could not find the black diamond blasting sand anywhere. However, I have found recycled glass. Would it be better to go with a 20-50 grit (texture is like sugar) or a 40-60 grit which is very fine sand? Anyone else ever use recycled glass as a substrate? Thanks.

2. peregrine

peregrine Valued Member Member

here would be my concern with recycled glass. It's tiny glass shards. Could damage fish if they accidentally eat it. that being said, I could be TOTALLY wrong..

3. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I've never heard of anyone using recycled glass but that would be my concern as well, especially if you plan on having bottom feeders.

4. Quibbles

Quibbles Valued Member Member

I agree with them. It may feel very soft and sandlike to you, but it could damage fish that touch it.

5. OP
    OP
    Tam9674

Tam9674 Valued Member Member

6. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I'm not familiar with it but looks like it could be sharp. If you're open to white/tan sand, have you considered pool filter sand? You can get a 50 lb bag for the same price as BDBS and it's completely safe! You can find it at any pool supply store.