Recurring infection

Petrov

I have a goldfish who's been getting a recurring infection for several months now. I'm not sure what it is, but my best guess would be columnaris. It looks like a white spot that grows on his tail, and if the infection gets bad enough, it appears around his gills as well. I've tried pretty much every medication (antibiotics, antifungal, and anti-parasite). Salt seems to have worked the best, but nothing has gotten rid of it for good, it keeps coming back. I'm currently doing additional water changes and continuing with the salt treatment and it seems to be keeping it from getting worse, but it's not getting rid of it. I'm worried it's developed a resistance to the medication. Is there anything else I can do? Thanks!
20200516_001135.jpg

msminnamouse

Kanamycin is supposed to be good for resistant gram negative bacteria.

But if you're not keeping your water quality up, that's going to stress the fish and keep the immune system from being able to fight off the harmful pathogens, which they all carry to some degree.

It would be best if you have your water parameters and tank specs. And I mean honestly. Do you have a test kit?

Petrov

It's a 20 gal with a single goldfish. I have an aquaclear 20 and a sponge filter (I built it so I'm not sure what size exactly, but the media's a little bigger than the aquaclear). No heater, temperature stays around 72°F.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 15ppm
pH: 7.8

Petrov

Sorry I forgot to add my GH is 200

Petrov

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TeeJay89
Replies