Recurring Disease/death In First Tank

_Maddie_

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Warning: Long
I have a 20g long tank with an Aquaclear 30 filter that was set up in December. It has only ever had platies, due to the problems I have been afraid to introduce new fish species. The problems with sick fish started in January. Since I set up the tank, 6 different platies (max 4 at a time) have inhabited it, with 2 left. At first I thought it was just some general internal parasite that was making the fish sick, as the first three had the same symptoms: Whitish, stringy poop, not eating, hiding, lethargy, gradually getting skinny, and shimmying. This led to the deaths of 2 out of the 3 original fish. After adding 3 new fish, one of them soon began showing the same symptoms, and had red worms hanging out of him (callamanus). He became extremely thin and died, along with the last remaining original fish. However, he also showed other symptoms (holes in fins, cottony growth on back, very rapid breathing) that made me believe he also had Columnaris. Fast foreward a few months until now, and this Sunday, one of the two remaining has started being lethargic, has a reduced appetite, having some stringy poop, and shimmying. The other platy is fine. I treated with Kanaplex and a little salt on Sunday, but she seems to be slightly worse. I’m at a loss as to what is killing my fish, as it does not respond to treatment. After the fish begin showing symptoms, they usually pass away about two weeks later. Am I just making a beginner’s mistake? Should I quarantine her? All of my tank parameters have been perfect since the tank finished cycling, I used Metronidazole before I knew the parasite was Callamanus, then I used Levamisole, and now I am using Kanaplex for the columnaris. I don’t like using too much meds, but I don’t want my fish to keep dying. Let me know if there is any more info that will help y’all. Thanks for the help!
The fish in the picture is the male that died after having the fast breathing and cottony patches. He was already very thin here, but his breathing was normal.

Attachments

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. You've done everything you could, but you're up against multiple issues. I would recommend not adding any new fish and letting them die off unless you're willing to euthanize. Then do a teardown and use 70% rubbing alcohol liberally on all nonporous surfaces. Toss any plants and substrate. Don't put your hands in the water, and use gloves.

When you're ready, rebuild using healthy stock, preferably direct from breeders. I've completely stopped buying from LFS after getting burned too many times.

_Maddie_

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. You've done everything you could, but you're up against multiple issues. I would recommend not adding any new fish and letting them die off unless you're willing to euthanize. Then do a teardown and use 70% rubbing alcohol liberally on all nonporous surfaces. Toss any plants and substrate. Don't put your hands in the water, and use gloves.

When you're ready, rebuild using healthy stock, preferably direct from breeders. I've completely stopped buying from LFS after getting burned too many times.
Wow, that seems kinda harsh. I didn’t know these problems were this bad! Is there any way I could save these fish? One of them is still healthy, and the other is at least still eating. It’s just that replacing all of the plants and substrate would be pretty expensive and I’ve already spent a lot trying to fix these issues, and with this being my first tank, this has really been difficult for me.

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Please look up descriptions of mycobacterial infections in fresh water fish, including marine tuberculosis, which is one of several issues that appear to be present in your tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom