Recurring Constipation

1. junket Initiate Member

Hello,
    My Male Betta, Lulu, got constipated the first time back at the beginning of December. I treated him by feeding him a small chunk of cooked, peeled pea at the end of a toothpick. He was better within hours. Since then I've changed his diet from freeze-dried bloodworms to a small amount of spirulina enriched brine shrimp every other day. He's gotten constipated twice, now, since that first time & I treat him with the pea method. I hate to go on like this - should I just feed him pea every other feeding? Butterfly has mentioned veggie flakes, does anyone have any preferences or suggestions on brand/manufacturer/etc? Should I be feeding him something other than the brine shrimp? He still has a lot of energy - just constipated often.
    Thanks in advance!
    David

2. Jason Well Known Member Member

If you can get your hands on Omega One Food Brands they're a step ahead of every other brand. I couldn't get any so I bought Tetra Spirulina flakes. and rotate amongst Wardley Total Colour, Wardley Blood Worms (freeze dried), Hikari Frozen Brine Shrimp, Wardley Algae Wafers and Tetra Ocean Krill. My female swordtail is still slightly constipated mind you. And she wont eat other vegies for some reason it only appeals to the bottom feeders.

Feed the pea more often also just to get the system working better.

3. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

David,
    I'm with J-Man on the Omega One flakes. They are a little harder to find, but well worth the effort! If you guys are interested in getting them mail order in the states, I might have a connection for you! Try the veggie flakes for your betta. It still has salmon in it, but it's got a lot of kelp and spirulina to help keep him regular. I even feed my betta the super veggie flakes, and he loves it! ;)

4. junket Initiate Member

Hello J-Man and Gunnie,
    Thanks for your quick responses - I'll see if I can get ahold of the types of food you mentioned. I think I'll be feeding him pea more often, as well. If I can't locate the Omega One food, I'd love to get hooked up with your connection, Gunnie! It's tough to just watch the little guy flopping over on his side at the top of the tank when he is unable to swim around properly - sometimes he wedges himself between the tank wall and a plant leaf just to stay upright :(. I hope your female swordtail gets better, J-Man!
    Best,
    David

5. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

David,
    Send me a pm with the location of your location fish store where you shop, and I'll see what I can do! ;)

6. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

David,
    You have a pm! ;)

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

My Betta loves the veggie flakes. Even though Bettas like meatier foods better they seem to make them constipated, so a good mixture will keep them healthier.
    Yes Omega One is tops because their foods are all fish not meal and fillers. The ones that are veggie oriented still have some fish in them to make them more balanced.
    Carol

8. Jason Well Known Member Member

My swordtail is not very active either, Ive been tryin different foods but she is still the same and has a little bit of trouble swallowing foods she spits it out and leaves it. She spends time alone a lot and looks thin still.

9. Jayson Initiate Member

I'm a little confused here, how is one able to tell that a fish is constipated?

Jason S.

10. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

They usually look bloated and don't eat much. They also don't act themselves.

11. junket Initiate Member

My fish also has a difficult time leaving the surface of the tank - he's very bouyant when he's constipated. He will also have difficulty keeping an 'even keel' - in other words he lists to one side or the other & must frantically move his fins in order to remain upright. It's kind of unsettling...

12. tootie Initiate Member

Dear junket im feally new to this site also_One thing i have learnt very quickly is that all these wonderful people that respond to our questions are the best at what thay do and thay are so good at what thay do i try every thing thay advise me to do and thay are always right.I cheek every thing with gunnie and butterfly mainly as thay sure know their stuff,and we are so lucky to have them to help us out at times i get so confused with all the advice from shops i just refure back to this terrific site for their advice and help.Such lovley people to have in my life.I like to experiment and i also use kelp for constipation the fish love it i just stick it on a clip and stick it to side wall of tank then i remove whats left its very strong i only use asmall amount the packet stuff from asian shops is fine also i use watermellon plus pea's.Good luck from Tootie.

13. junket Initiate Member

Hey Tootie,
    Thanks for your kind words! The folks here sure do know their stuff! Lulu still has problems once or twice a week, but I'm only feeding him omega one super veggie with the occasional bit of pea. The kelp & watermelon suggestions are great - I will try them out!
    Best,
    David