recovery

kribensis keeper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
my bristlenose is eating away a my amazon sword leafe some a really bad athoers are not so bad is there away of making the leaves that are bad go back to there normal state if not is there a curtin way to cut these leafs off also how can I repair the ones that are not that bad here are some pics the first one is off the ok ones and the 2nd pic is off the ones which are bad ones and the third is of him on them

please need answers if not can someone tell me at least if there is a curtin way to cut off most of the leaves

Hello, I've merged your back to back posts.
Thanks!
Ken

Attachments

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I don't think there is any way for you to stop the Pleco from cleaning/eating your plants.

If you want to prune the plant, I just take my fingers and pinch off the leaves at the base of the plant. Be careful not to pull the plants up.

You may want to try feeding your Pleco a slice of fresh zucchini. Mine loves it and will eat a 1" slice in a matter of 2 hours. I just slice it, weight it down and drop it in the tank.

Every now and then he will nibble on the Romaine lettuce that I feed to my Silver Dollars.

Best of luck! I'm sure you'll get more responses before too long.

Ken

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Unfortunately when it comes to swords & anubius plants, once the leaves have holes in them they are there to stay. There is no way to get the plant to repair the holes. To remove the leaves trI'm them off as close to the base of the plant as you can. You can either pinch them off like Ken or you can use a clean, sharp pair of scissors as I prefer to do.

Feed more vegetable matter to your Pleco in order to get it to leave the plants alone more. ZuchinI is good as is cucumber. Feed the fresh vegies along with algae wafers & the occasional shrimp pellet to ensure a well balanced diet.

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Scissors or pinching will work for the damaged sword leaves. Are you sure that is from the BN? It might be a deficiancy.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
suemvb said:
Scissors or pinching will work for the damaged sword leaves. Are you sure that is from the BN? It might be a deficiancy.
I was wondering this as well. I've had nutrient deficiencies (although lighting was adequate) before and it looked just like your issue.

kribensis keeper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
no its the bn pleco and I'm sure also I know that I might sound like a silly question but will the amazon sword grow new leaves to replace the cut off ones

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yes it will.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads