Recovering Tank From Algae

CatesCollection

Reaction score
I have a current 5 gallon tank running for three years now. Due to some issues (malfunctioning filter, lack of water changes due to a human baby being born and kids leaving the light on) wr have green algae, not the hairy kind, but the kind that will not come off.

Got a new filter and gravel—trying to keep the fish alive obviously while fixing things.

Keep filter media and as much water as I can? It has been years since I have had to do this on an aquarium.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So green spot algae? You'll need a metal scraper to get it off, or you can try a snail

LocasPocas

Reaction score
I would at least keep the filter media. A water change, (maybe like 40%) once or twice a week might help to get rid of the algae. In my tank that had a crazy brown algae problem,I did this and added a few ottos. I couldnt believe it... The ottos took care of the algae in days! It may be beneficial to get some sort of algae eater, depending on your current stock.

I don't know a whole lot about green algae but this worked well with brown

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ottos won't be able to rasp green spot algae unfortunately. A nerite snail can, but it is not there favorite algae to eat, so they will go for soft diatoms first.

As @nikm128 said, a razor scraper works really well on this type of algae.
I have the short size Kent Marine scraper like this

But I prefer the wider shorter handle for my large tanks and better manual control.
Here's another I know nothing about, but a shorter one

Agreed, transfer the filter media without letting it dry out with the fish and you should be fine. Water itself doesn't nitrifying bacteria, instead it adheres to porous surfaces, mostly in your filter material.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom