Recommended Tank Mates For One Male Betta In A 20long? Question 

16degus

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tomorrow I am "adopting" a male betta fish from an owner that can't care for him anymore. He has lived in a bowl the past year and a half. I have set up a 20long tank partially planted tank for him and my two assassin snails - just waiting for it to cycle (fishless).

My question is: My 20long tank will house this betta fish and two assassin snails along with plants including Java Fern, Amazon Sword and a Crypt. What other creatures (if any) could I safely add to this tank (specific fish/snails or other invertebrates/shrimp for example)?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I don't have any stocking advice, but each individual betta has a different temperament and may or may not tolerate tankmates so I suggest you have a back up tank for the betta just in case it doesn't work out.

Leafydragon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
African dwarf frogs seem like a fun addition (that’s what I originally wanted) and in a tank that size you could also do 6 Otos. A small school of feeder guppies (the not colorful ones), Rasboras or tetras would also add some color. Mystery snails, nerite snails and any kind of shrimp will work, but you should be careful because if they are smaller the betta might see them as food. I don’t want to recommend too many since I’m not an expert
The most important thing is to read many different sources before deciding since many different sources may agree or disagree on different stocking options. I’d suggest using our favorite pal google to find a few different options you’d be interested in then ask about them here.
All bettas have different personalities so be sure to watch carefully when adding any other fish with a betta. Always have a backup plan because bettas can seem peaceful but can suddenly turn on your other fish.
Good luck with your tank!

16degus

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 10 gallon that currently houses my two assassin snails - that could be kept running in case the betta is aggressive.
I have three different substrates in the 20Long - 1/3 sand for my snails, 1/3 eco-complete for my plants and 1/3 gravel.

OurFirstTimeFishy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a bristlenose pleco and 4 neon tetras inside my 20 gallon with betta. Each fish is different so some people may have great experience, some may have bad. Just try and have a backup for the extra fish you may get incase your betta doesnt want them. As for plants the betta will swim through or around them, picture below is my tank
1565121836810.jpg

16degus

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Loaches would be cool to have.

Nice tank OurFirstTimeFishy

Salem

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would recommend snails and inverts rather than fish just because they have a better success rate. I'm a big fan of keeping a single nerite and/or a mystery snail with bettas- only 1 so they don't breed and take over. A mystery snail in theory would be too big for an assassin snail to take down but I have read of multiple coming together to kill one. I haven't personally kept shrimps but I am a big fan of keeping ghost or neocaridina or amano shrimp.

16degus

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Will be putting the betta (Gilbert) in the 20 long tomorrow. The assassins will go in next. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions - I will be considering all of these options and reading up on them to see which ones best fit my tank conditions. Hopefully Gilbert will be willing to share his space with others.

16degus

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Someone I know, who works in a pet store, told me that she had put a few ghost shrimp in with a betta and then later noticed that the shrimp's intestines were very colourful - they had eaten the fins of the betta fish.
I was also told by a vet that I know that if I put aquatic frogs in with the betta it will make it difficult to keep the water parameters stable for the betta because of the waste produced by the frogs.

Noroomforshoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I suggest you add a school of fish to the tank, then add the betta on a day were you have free time to watch and check on him.
I would not do shrimp, because they esilly become dinner, i would not add frogs, because the can be a pain to feed, I would not add ember tetra, or other tiny fish, as they can also become food.
I suggest a school of fish that is not brightly colored, is not very extremely active, and is not too big or too small.

A school of 6-8 cories, or 8-12 kuhli loaches, or 6-8 halequin rasbora, or 6 head and tail light tetra, or x-ray tetra, or black neons, even odessa barbs could work.

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My Betta, Murf, is in a 15g hex tall aquarium with White Clouds....all the fish are very young & pintsize still so growing up with each other. Murf happily schools with the Minnows or makes like a bush or they use the huge mopani log to play hide & seek. All good natured, no aggression and temps relatively lower than most at 75.5 since that is what they were used to before arrival from supplier

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom