Recommended Order To Add In Community Fish

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Gerbilybooboo, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Gerbilybooboo

GerbilyboobooNew MemberMember

Hi! I finally have my 20 gallon long tank set up and I'm super excited! It's almost done cycling and I've decided on this stocking:
    1 Betta
    10 Green Neon Tetras
    8 Habrosus Corydoras
    6 Panda Corydoras
    and 1 baby snail who hitch-hiked with my plants :)
    I've been researching online, and I think the best order to add the fish would be the tetras first, then corys, and then the betta last to minimize aggression. Does this sound like a good plan? Thank you all! IMG_1559.JPG

2. nikm128

nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

That's exactly how it should be done, and what I would suggest/do myself

3. OP
    OP
    Gerbilybooboo

Thanks for your input! I feel much more confident that I'm doing the right thing, now :D

4. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Only thing is I would do one Cory species not both. I’d do the salt an pepper over the pandas. As of late pandas haven’t been that strong. A lot of threads on dying pandas. Maybe do 15 of the s&p. Or wait 6 months let the tank age and add 5 Otto cats.

5. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Great looking tank very nicely put together. ( a little jealous of your driftwood ) :) I like the stocking idea a lot even though i'm no stocking pro a lot of ( same species ) corys will add a bunch of excitment in your new tank!! Good Luck!!

6. OP
    OP
    Gerbilybooboo

That actually sounds like a really good plan! I was looking into ottos since they are sooo cute and also help clean up algae. My only worry is that many LFS near me don't have the habrosus all the time or that many. I absolutely love them, but I've only seen maybe 3-5 at a time in the stores. I guess I can build up their group really slowly or see if they can bring in a big batch especially for me :)

7. OP
    OP
    Gerbilybooboo

Corys are absolutely amazing and I'm so excited to get to keep some, finally! My dad kept huge fish like arrowanas and a bunch of cichlids so I'm completely pumped to get some little nano guys! I got my spider wood for super cheap at Big Al's; both pieces costed me a total of $20!!!

8. Dinoknight

DinoknightValued MemberMember

Yea, The current pandas have some sort of disease that keeps killing them off quite quickly. as in, fine at 3:00, dead and floating at 4:00. I lost 5 out of 6 of mine that I bought 2 months ago, the last one dying 3 weeks ago. In order to relieve stress on the remaining one, I got three more, surprisingly from petsmart of all places, and it is going well for the past week, which is 7 times longer than the initial batch lasted without losing its first fish. I will be continuing to try, but if this one fails, then I am switching to a new cory.

- Dino

9. OP
    OP
    Gerbilybooboo

Thanks for the heads up! I'm really sorry about your losses, that's never fun. It's a shame that the pandas aren't doing so well as they're so fun to watch, are a perfect size in-between regular corys and the dwarf ones, and so many beginners get hooked on corys because of these little dudes. Maybe I'll wait a few years before I try them out. The habrosus are amazing, too and they probably would be happier in a school of 15!

10. kallililly1973

WOW! That is an awesome deal. Have you used that type of wood before? does it last a good while?

11. OP
    OP
    Gerbilybooboo

I haven't had the wood long enough to speak to it's longevity, but Big Al's is a pretty reputable website and with 4.5/5 stars with over 50 reviews, I'd say it's probably pretty high quality. The only thing is that you don't get to pick the pieces you receive so I had to cut the top off of one of my pieces because it wouldn't fit in my tank. Other than that, check it out! Just search "drift wood" on bigalspets.com and you should find it :)

12. kallililly1973

Great thanks . All i've used is Manzanita in my tanks. I was curious if it lasts. I may be setting up a new project and looking to budget where i can!

13. 86 ssinit

3-5 at a time is a great way to put them into your tank. Allways add a few fish at a time. This lets the bacteria that eats there waste build up to the new fish. If you throw 10 fish in at once your cycle may crash because of all the waste and not enough bacteria to eat it.
    Your tank looks great! I like the live plants. Java fern should have its roots out of the substrate. Like most of yours are and the amazon sword should get root tab fertilizers in the sand by there roots. I see you also have an anubias in the rock. Nice!

14. 86 ssinit

3-5 at a time is a great way to put them into your tank. Allways add a few fish at a time. This lets the bacteria that eats there waste build up to the new fish. If you throw 10 fish in at once your cycle may crash because of all the waste and not enough bacteria to eat it.
    Your tank looks great! I like the live plants. Java fern should have its roots out of the substrate. Like most of yours are and the amazon sword should get root tab fertilizers in the sand by there roots. I see you also have an anubias in the rock. Nice!

15. OP
    OP
    Gerbilybooboo

I wish you good luck with your new project!

16. OP
    OP
    Gerbilybooboo

Yes, I defiantly don't want to crash my tank I took so long to cycle! I'm just worried that I'll get the 4 habrosus available at the store at the time and then no more will come in and then the 4 will be lonely. My LFS says they switch off between pygmy and habrosus corys because "they're basically the same." They are defiantly not the same and have extremely different personalities, so I think they should just carry both, but I guess it's up to them. Thanks for the plant tips! I'm super excited to try out live plants for the first time. I was running out of room for the 2 lone java leaves, but they keep floating out of that sand since the roots aren't super long yet. I'll have to tie them down to a rock or something so I don't bury the rhizome. My substrate is seachem flourite black sand. Do you think that will provide enough nutrients for the amazon sword? I know they're heavy root feeders and I really like the look of them so I was sure to get nutrient rich substrate. I can always supplement with root tabs, too, though.

17. 86 ssinit

Yes root tabs are a must. I don’t think there are any nutrients in the sand.

18. OP
    OP
    Gerbilybooboo

Thanks for the help! I'll defiantly add in some root tabs.

19. kallililly1973

black thread will hold your java ferns just tie them loosely around a rock deco or driftwood you wont even notice it. tie a slip knot so its not too tight

20. OP
    OP
    Gerbilybooboo

Yes, I think I'll have to tie these 2 pieces. I used gel super glue for the rest of the java fern and moss when the wood wasn't wet, but now that it is, I guess I'll have to tie it.