30 Gallon Tank Recommended lighting

Elicee92

Hey everyone,

Is there a recommended hight the light should be distent from the tank, or does it depend on what kind of plants are in the tank?

SuperSword48

Hey everyone,

Is there a recommended hight the light should be distent from the tank, or does it depend on what kind of plants are in the tank?
It depends on the types of plants in the tank. Some plants require more intense lighting than others. I have a light that rests of the top of the fish tank and that works well for me. But really the intensity of the light will affect more than the height the light is from the tank.

Elicee92

It depends on the types of plants in the tank. Some plants require more intense lighting than others. I have a light that rests of the top of the fish tank and that works well for me. But really the intensity of the light will affect more than the height the light is from the tank.
So my light was resting on the tank then a lot of algae was growing on the tank lid so I suspended the light,

After I suspended the light, a very big portion of my plants died out a bunch of Dwarf sag and Italian Val's completely does out.

SuperSword48

So my light was resting on the tank then a lot of algae was growing on the tank lid so I suspended the light,

After I suspended the light, a very big portion of my plants died out a bunch of Dwarf sag and Italian Val's completely does out.
I’m sorry to hear that. When I had algae problems I decreased my light intensity and dosed flourish excel. If plants are dying I’d turn your light back up and try dosing excel to kill it. Although a little algae in your tank is normal.

Elicee92

I’m sorry to hear that. When I had algae problems I decreased my light intensity and dosed flourish excel. If plants are dying I’d turn your light back up and try dosing excel to kill it. Although a little algae in your tank is normal.
The problem is my lights can't be adjusted they are one setting only,

It's a aqueon light for plants

Mudminnow

This depends on the plants and the lights. Some lights are bright, but all the light comes from a smaller spot (like a Kessel light); these are best mounted higher to get the necessary spread. Other lights aren't quite as bright, but have better spread (like a t5 array); these are usually mounted lower to get more intensity.

Slower growing plants are easier to keep algae free with less light. Some plants need more light. If your light is not adjustable, you'll need to raise and lower it to find the sweet spot where plants grow but algae doesn't.

If your plants were doing well before (and you were only getting algae on the lid), you may just need to clean the lid more often or get rid of it entirely.

Victorzz

I think you should choose an aquarium light with brightness adjustment function, which can perfectly solve your worries.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
GlennO
Replies
Views
Mudminnow
Replies
Views
Mudminnow
  • Question
Replies