Recommended lighting for my tank

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by hampsterblade, Dec 12, 2012.

1. h

hampsterblade New Member Member

I use Flourish as well as root tabs in my tank, but no matter what I do the plants will do very well for a short time after pruning, but before long the leaves go transparent and eventually begin to die. I'm trying to keep my lighting purchase under $100 and I think my ludwidgias were recommended 4WPG. So I think I would need about 200 Watts, and I prefer dim blue lights at night if there is something that has this option in my price range. I'm hoping I can find something to suit my needs and help my plants do well. Also not sure if it matters but there are cichlids in the tank too.

2. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

4WPG is super high, so I don't think that's likely. I have ludwigias and my lighting isn't that high and they're doing great. You can't have 200W and also dim, plus blue lights are not good for plant growth. I got my fixture or two 54W T5HOs for about $60.

3. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Here's a link to the fixture Kinezumi posted about, I also have one and have no complaints, especially given the price:  

4. kinezumi89

Thanks Matt! I looked for like 20 minutes to find the thread I started about it but couldn't :p

5. Matt B

No problem. :) I bookmarked it when I bought it since it was such a good deal.

6. OP
    OP
    h

Those look good. By dim blue lights I basically mean the blue LEDs a lot of fixtures come with for night viewing. I have auratuses and red zebras that look really cool under the lights. I currently have 2 23W CFLs (house lights), a 15W florescent and an 15W blue light, but it's clearly not enough. I will look into the dual T5s to see if any of them have an LED night option

7. OP
    OP
    h

I think I will get the light fixture you linked and find some RGB LEDs for viewing. They are cooler anyway and let me view in any color.

8. c

crayfish1 New Member Member

I have a 75 gal tank with 2 t5 34 watt aquaglo bulbs.Is taht enough light to accomadte anubias and hygrophilia

9. beginner

beginner Valued Member Member

no expert here but, plants want uninterrupted dark at night so, the night led's aren't the best idea. I'm almost positive that anything can be grown under 2 54watt t5s in a four foot tank. the watt per gallon rule does not apply, bc anymore light will just make an algae nightmare. btw no more than 6 hours a day for light

10. OP
    OP
    h

I have my light ordered. Now I need to find out what kind of hood to use with it. I'm losing a lot of water and need to get some sort of hood.

11. kinezumi89

I can't imagine not having a hood! You can get a piece of glass cut, or acrylic, or buy one premade (depending on the size of the tank). I tape up exposed holes with clear packing tape.

12. Matt B

13. OP
    OP
    h

Awesome. I'll have to do some measurements to figure out how to fit that with my filters. The marineland emperor400 is huge and i'I'm thinking about replacing my whisper power 60 with a second one as it works so quiet.

14. Matt B

I was thinking of trying the same tops but with Lexan instead. That may be easier to cut yourself and make areas for filters, I haven't used it yet so I'm not sure how it holds up but I've been reading Actual "lexan" not just acrylic works well.

I an AC guy when it comes to hob's so I'd recommend one of them ;)

15. OP
    OP
    h

I'm always a sucker for DIY stuff. I was looking at the glass ones they sell at my LFS, but I'm not sure if those are designed to accommodate filters or not. Lexan is a little pricey if I recall correctly. Something like 30 bucks a square foot. That article says about 30 bucks for the whole thing which wouldn't be bad especially considering the glass canopies at the store run about 25 bucks for one side. And yes I've been running my 55 without a hood for about 2 months, and it tends to lose about 3-4 gallons of water a week, not to mention I've had a lot of stuff fall in it when I'm messing around the tank.

16. Matt B

Me too!! I've owned the ones they sell at lfs and imo they're . They don't make a good seal at all and the hinge is just annoying. The back portion you can cut to accomodate filters sticks up leaving a gap along the back, I will NEVER buy one again.

I just stepped on and broke another one of my lids yesterday, thus the interest in lexan! I made my last ones with scrap glass myself and the cost was about $3 for a 65g. Of course you need a glass cutter to do it.

Along with the evap problem, if someone sprays cleaners or febreeze or something I'd be worried about that getting in there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice