Recommended light for FOWLR

aquachris

Member
I'm setting up my 75g FOWLR soon, and I don't have much more for it other than a full spectrum beamswork light from when it was FW. Any recommendations for a basic light for a FOWLR setup? I will be keeping a green spotted puffer in it, and possibly other tank mates if he tolerates it (going to add all at the same time in the new home and setup with lots of line of sight breaks as possible)

Also looking at basic - nothing crazy expensive (so pass on the AI) :)
 

MacZ

Member
In a fish-only tank go with something cheap and durable. A basic saltwater tank light should be fine. Can't give any brand recommendations, though.
 
  • Thread Starter

aquachris

Member
I'm possibly considering two of these (It will be on a 75g - so I need 48")... I have Nicrew on a few FW tanks and like it
Amazon.com : NICREW ClassicLED Marine Aquarium Light, LED Light with Dual-Channel Timer for Saltwater Fish and Reef Tanks, 24 to 30-Inch, 24-Watt : Pet Supplies

Or https://www.amazon.com/NICREW-Aquarium-Dimmable-Spectrum-Saltwater/dp/B08D7D4DN8/ even though I dont plan on doing Reef, I kinda like the stand/etc... And might give me an opportunity to redo my lid setup on my tank.

Now I found two More LOL
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016P93O2A
OR
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079NLNW69
 

MomeWrath

Member
aquachris said:
I'm possibly considering two of these (It will be on a 75g - so I need 48")... I have Nicrew on a few FW tanks and like it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087M9CQH3/?th=1

Or https://www.amazon.com/NICREW-Aquarium-Dimmable-Spectrum-Saltwater/dp/B08D7D4DN8/ even though I dont plan on doing Reef, I kinda like the stand/etc... And might give me an opportunity to redo my lid setup on my tank.

Now I found two More LOL
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016P93O2A
OR
Robot Check
Don't bananas on a reef-capable light for a FOWLR. It will just be a constant battle with coralline and other algae.
I've used Beamswork lights before, started out with them on my first couple saltwater tanks. They are OK but they do not last. Several chips burned out within a few months, so I'd pass on that as well. I have 2 platned tanks now, one with Hygger light and one with Beamswork and I like the Hygger light a lot better.
I'd go for the NICREW from your first link. It will be the right spectrum to make your saltwater tank look its best without blasting it with light. If the graphics truthful, since there is little red in the spectrum it shouldn't give you issues with green algaes either. I would recommend against any light indicated for freshwater tanks. The spectrum is wrong and can create problems with green hair algae and other types you don't want growing in your fowlr tank! Green algae loves red and green light, which is the primary difference between FW and SW lights.
 
  • Thread Starter

aquachris

Member
MomeWrath said:
Don't bananas on a reef-capable light for a FOWLR. It will just be a constant battle with coralline and other algae.
I've used Beamswork lights before, started out with them on my first couple saltwater tanks. They are OK but they do not last. Several chips burned out within a few months, so I'd pass on that as well. I have 2 platned tanks now, one with Hygger light and one with Beamswork and I like the Hygger light a lot better.
I'd go for the NICREW from your first link. It will be the right spectrum to make your saltwater tank look its best without blasting it with light. If the graphics truthful, since there is little red in the spectrum it shouldn't give you issues with green algaes either. I would recommend against any light indicated for freshwater tanks. The spectrum is wrong and can create problems with green hair algae and other types you don't want growing in your fowlr tank! Green algae loves red and green light, which is the primary difference between FW and SW lights.
You confirmed some of what I was thinking. Thanks.
 

kanzekatores

Member
I linked the light that I use. It's probably more expensive than what you were thinking but I use it for FOWLR for now



A Current light would also work well. I've used that one for freshwater (the first link) but orbit led (2nd) is whats used for saltwater ususally





It's still important to get a good quality light even with FOWLR
 

fishkeepinginaisa

Member
aquachris said:
I'm setting up my 75g FOWLR soon, and I don't have much more for it other than a full spectrum beamswork light from when it was FW. Any recommendations for a basic light for a FOWLR setup? I will be keeping a green spotted puffer in it, and possibly other tank mates if he tolerates it (going to add all at the same time in the new home and setup with lots of line of sight breaks as possible)

Also looking at basic - nothing crazy expensive (so pass on the AI) :)
You don't need anything fancy if you're not keeping coral. However, as other writers have mentioned, it's good practice to get one designed for saltwater to prevent unwanted algae growth and other problems. LED lights are great and not outrageously expensive these days.
 

Jesterrace

Member
aquachris said:
I'm setting up my 75g FOWLR soon, and I don't have much more for it other than a full spectrum beamswork light from when it was FW. Any recommendations for a basic light for a FOWLR setup? I will be keeping a green spotted puffer in it, and possibly other tank mates if he tolerates it (going to add all at the same time in the new home and setup with lots of line of sight breaks as possible)

Also looking at basic - nothing crazy expensive (so pass on the AI) :)
For FOWLR any cheap freshwater light will work (although IMHO you may not like white light on the saltwater tank). The beamswork light would be fine though.
 
  • Thread Starter

aquachris

Member
So I'm debating the nicrew as that is what I have on my 210 fw and really like them. I'd need 2 but I think that's ok.
 

Jesterrace

Member
aquachris said:
So I'm debating the nicrew as that is what I have on my 210 fw and really like them. I'd need 2 but I think that's ok.
One of the things that is interesting is that generally with freshwater most prefer a white look to the tank, but on a saltwater tank the white light look tends to give the tank a washed out look and tends to show flaws more (ie algae growth). I had predominantly white light on my 90 when I first started and never liked how the tank looked. There are other lights that are pretty affordable that will allow you to switch between whites and blues (ie Current USA) that will be perfectly fine for FOWLR.

Here is my 90 with the original cheap light bar that it had:


Here would be the latest with my fancy AI Hydra 26HDs:

 
Top Bottom