Recommended focal fish?????

1. t

tropics New Member Member

Here's my dilemma. My goal for my main tank is to have two or three discus, 4 platinum blue fin angels, my pleco, and my school of rummy nose tetras. I am fairly new to the hobby and don't think I'm ready for the the discus because of their sensitivity. Can anyone recommend a fish of similar size I can put in place of the discus??? I've done a fair amount of research and have come up empty so far. I really liked these disc tetras I found but they get to big for my tank. I was also thinking about silver dollars but my tank is in a high traffic area so they would just be scared all the time. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. J

JoannaB Well Known Member Member

That's for your 55 gallon right? Aren't the angelfish the focal fish already? Four angelfish and a common pleco and a school of tetra in a 55 gallon tank is I believe too much already. If I understand correctly your angelfish may grow to be six inches in size each, and the common pleco may grow to be a foot or two in length. So once those grow up, I believe you will need to get a bigger tank - someone else please correct me if I am wrong.

3. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

The angels will be fine but I wouldn't get 4. The common pleco needs to be rehomed as it will quickly outgrow your tank.

4. OP
    OP
    t

If all goes well I do plan to add a bigger tank so he can be moved into there.

5. OP
    OP
    t

I suppose the angels would be more then enough.... I was just so focused on replacing my very much wanted discus. They will come with time though.

6. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't mix discus and angels anyway. Angels ARE the centerpiece fish; they're my centerpiece for my 55 (well, when I get them anyway :;smack). Plus the pleco getting a new tank isn't a matter of "if all goes well." If you are unable to upgrade, then he needs to be rehomed. 55 gallons is not NEARLY large enough. That would be like getting a puppy and keeping him in the closet, and letting him move to a bigger room "if all goes well."

I don't mean to sound harsh, but the fish's needs need to be top priority.

7. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Common Plecos can get to 2 feet long, but there are quite a few smaller Plecos you might consider. :)

8. OP
    OP
    t

How fast will the pleco grow? I'm assuming it's a common pleco since it's basically all dark brown. Its from petsmart out of their pleco tank and didn't have a specific breed name.

9. OP
    OP
    t

How fast will the pleco grow? I'm assuming it's a common pleco since it's basically all dark brown. Its from petsmart out of their pleco tank and didn't have a specific breed name.

10. OP
    OP
    t

And don't worry I won't "keep my puppy in the closet"

11. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah, most likely a common.

12. Terra

Terra Well Known Member Member

Please don't buy the pleco now with the intention to upgrade it's tank later. Your car could break down the next day and require a massive overhaul. Your kid could need braces. Your significant other could decide today is the day you need to buy that new tv. There's a thousand reasons that your best intentions can be thwarted, and you're left with a pleco living in misery.

Be patient, get the pleco after the new tank. Even if you're a bajillionaire and have zero chance of not upgrading in the future.. you have to consider that it needs the space to grow *now* or it's growth will become stunted. Get yourself a bristlenose pleco, they're perfect for a 55.