Recommended focal fish?????

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by tropics, Nov 25, 2012.

1. tropicsNew MemberMember

Here's my dilemma. My goal for my main tank is to have two or three discus, 4 platinum blue fin angels, my pleco, and my school of rummy nose tetras. I am fairly new to the hobby and don't think I'm ready for the the discus because of their sensitivity. Can anyone recommend a fish of similar size I can put in place of the discus??? I've done a fair amount of research and have come up empty so far. I really liked these disc tetras I found but they get to big for my tank. I was also thinking about silver dollars but my tank is in a high traffic area so they would just be scared all the time. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

That's for your 55 gallon right? Aren't the angelfish the focal fish already? Four angelfish and a common pleco and a school of tetra in a 55 gallon tank is I believe too much already. If I understand correctly your angelfish may grow to be six inches in size each, and the common pleco may grow to be a foot or two in length. So once those grow up, I believe you will need to get a bigger tank - someone else please correct me if I am wrong.

3. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDDWell Known MemberMember

The angels will be fine but I wouldn't get 4. The common pleco needs to be rehomed as it will quickly outgrow your tank.

4. OP
    OP
    t

tropicsNew MemberMember

If all goes well I do plan to add a bigger tank so he can be moved into there.

5. OP
    OP
    t

tropicsNew MemberMember

I suppose the angels would be more then enough.... I was just so focused on replacing my very much wanted discus. They will come with time though.

6. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I wouldn't mix discus and angels anyway. Angels ARE the centerpiece fish; they're my centerpiece for my 55 (well, when I get them anyway :;smack). Plus the pleco getting a new tank isn't a matter of "if all goes well." If you are unable to upgrade, then he needs to be rehomed. 55 gallons is not NEARLY large enough. That would be like getting a puppy and keeping him in the closet, and letting him move to a bigger room "if all goes well."

I don't mean to sound harsh, but the fish's needs need to be top priority.

7. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Common Plecos can get to 2 feet long, but there are quite a few smaller Plecos you might consider. :)

8. OP
    OP
    t

tropicsNew MemberMember

How fast will the pleco grow? I'm assuming it's a common pleco since it's basically all dark brown. Its from petsmart out of their pleco tank and didn't have a specific breed name.

9. OP
    OP
    t

tropicsNew MemberMember

How fast will the pleco grow? I'm assuming it's a common pleco since it's basically all dark brown. Its from petsmart out of their pleco tank and didn't have a specific breed name.

10. OP
    OP
    t

tropicsNew MemberMember

And don't worry I won't "keep my puppy in the closet"

11. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Yeah, most likely a common.

12. Terra

TerraWell Known MemberMember

Please don't buy the pleco now with the intention to upgrade it's tank later. Your car could break down the next day and require a massive overhaul. Your kid could need braces. Your significant other could decide today is the day you need to buy that new tv. There's a thousand reasons that your best intentions can be thwarted, and you're left with a pleco living in misery.

Be patient, get the pleco after the new tank. Even if you're a bajillionaire and have zero chance of not upgrading in the future.. you have to consider that it needs the space to grow *now* or it's growth will become stunted. Get yourself a bristlenose pleco, they're perfect for a 55.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice