Recommended fish

1. kageMori Member Member

I was looking into getting a new aquarium started up. Its been a long while since ive had one and i really miss it. In the past all the aquariums ive owned have been 10gal, but the one im looking to get is 30gal. Ive always felt 10 was to small and 30gal seems good to me. Its large enough to really enjoy the fish but not so large as to make matentice a pain in the butt.

in the past ive only ever had the really samll fish, tetras, guppies, and bettas with this larger tank i want something diffrent. I wont deny that i think the tetra fish are often quiet beautiful but im looking for something diffrent. I want this to be a community tank so i dont want any aggressive fish or any overly annoying fish that would bother other inhabitants.

All suggestions are appreicated!:)

2. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

What kinds of fish have you always liked? That will help in stocking the tank. A 30 gallon tank you're still pretty limited to smaller fish but not as small. Here's some ideas off the top of my head.

List one:
    -2 Kribensis Cichlids
    -6 Scissortail tetras
    -6 Cherry barbs
    -2 Platy
    -1 BN pleco

List two:
    -2 Bolivian Rams
    -6 glolight tetras
    -6 Neon tetras
    -6 Panda Cory cats
    -2 Platy
    -1 DG
    -1 Clown Pleco

List three:
    -5 Zebra Danios
    -5 Gold Zebra Danios
    -3 Platy
    -6 Pygmy Cory cats
    -2 Kribensis Cichlids
    -10 Otocinclus Cats

If you like any of the fish I mentioned I can swap things around for you.

3. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

30g....hmm. well some fish i think are really attractive, and look good with plants are
    *harlequin rasboras
    *espei rasboras
    *cardinal tetras
    *cherry barbs
    *gold tetras
    *apistos
    *bolivan rams
    *honey gouramis (peaceful too)
    *cories (just so cute)
    *sparkling gouramis (adorable, small, and peaceful)

4. kageMori Member Member

your lists are really good and i appreciate the suggestions. I especially like the rams and the cory cats. Aren't the cichlids suppsosed to be like really terrtitoral though? the BN pelco is also very intresting to look at. Fish that appeal most to me are the ones that are either really intresting looking or really colorful, overall though im not picky as long as their not plain looking like the silverdollar fish.

Oh! before i forget, yesterday while i was browsing the pet store i saw what were called diamond tetras. they were really neat and very nice looking. that was the first time id ever seen them, as the pet store where i live has never had them, to my knowledge, before then.

5. Fall River Member Member

Diamond tetras are nice looking fish. They only get to be about 2", so a school of 6-8 would work. :)

6. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

diamonds are one of the bigger tetras....if it is a true 30g, 8 might work. but if it's a 29g...they may be too large for it. they are very pretty though. orange flame tetras are very attractive, and give a nice pop of color...

the dwarf cichlids are much less aggressive. rams and apistos are a good choice for a community.

7. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

You could take list 1 or 2 that I posted and get diamond tetras instead of the ones I listed. I would only get 6-8 tho

8. kageMori Member Member

thanks for all the suggestions, their really appreciated.

oh, by the way i forgot to ask, what are DG?