Recommended Filter Question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Rodman325, May 31, 2019.

1. Rodman325

Rodman325New MemberMember

I am planning on buying and setting up a 125 gallon tank. I haven’t bought any of it yet. The best filter I could find was made for a 100 gallon tank. Any filter suggestions? I don’t have a price limit.

2. andy305mia

andy305miaValued MemberMember

Get yourself an Eheim 2262 and its a wrap.....since you have no limit lol. Depends on your stocking but I would stick to Eheim, they are literally German engineered. People are gonna say it's overkill but hey. I would do two Ehiem 2217's. Personally, I'd like to have more than one filter on a tank that long. Again, it depends on your stocking, but the 2217's are solid tried and tested for many many many years :D

3. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

I am waiting for a 125 to arrive now. I’ve been buying what’s needed and building a stand. The filter I’ve chosen is the fluval FX6. Will also add a smaller sponge filter. Working on the stand C2FE410B-09A7-46A0-9E07-072FE3FEDD4E.jpeg

4. Islandvic

IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Liveaquaria.com has the Eheim 1200XL (2080) for $123.

Holds 3 gallons of media in the 3 main trays , not including the pre-filter tray.

All their Eheim inventory is on clearance. Live Aquaria will be no longer carrying Eheim.

5. OP
    OP
    Rodman325

Rodman325New MemberMember

How strong of a current will these filters cause? I’m looking for one that affects the water movement the least. These are all helpful.

6. andy305mia

andy305miaValued MemberMember

Eheim for sure. They are more about the water exchanging with filter media rather than rushing right through. Different philosophy. I'm an Ehiem fanboy for sure lol. Don't get it twisted, they put out some flow as well. Remember you want some good surface agitation. Good luck

7. Islandvic

@Rodman325 I just re-read your original post.

If you don't have a price limit, look into the 2262's like @andy305mia suggested .

Use a spray bar and drill the holes larger to reduce the discharge pressure. That will reduce current in the tank.

@86 ssinit , that stand looks stout. How are you going to skin it?

8. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

I’m going to skin it with 1/2” finished plywood. It’s right behind it. I found a nice butcher block like top that I will cut down and route the edges. But the doors have me thinking now. Want to have 4 but not sure what hinges to use. Just going to cover the front and sides and leave the back open. Bought a FX6 and I want as much room inside as possible. May have to drop the 2x4s on one side of the bottom for more height. Will fit the filter tomorrow to see what I need.

9. Islandvic

Sounds awesome.

I ask because I bought a 55g tank recently, and it has been harder than I thought to decide how I want to build the stand!

Originally i was going to construct the cabinet with 3/4" hardwood plywood with internal bracing (not the traditional 2x4 frame construction). I don't have a router or a biscuit joiner, so I decided against the all-plywood design.

Will probably make something very similar to yours.

10. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Your stand looks great! You could always look into a set of cabinet doors from a cabinet place or home improvement store and match them to the finished plywood your using. Just a thought. This is the stand I built for my 55 the fluval 406 fits perfect underneath the left side between the front and back 2x4’s. I used 2x4’s for the top as well and all the corners on my tank sit nicely on it

Attached Files:

11. Islandvic

I picked up 1/2" birch plywood to skin mine.

I borrowed my friend's Kreg tool to make pocket holes for the 2x4 columns that connect top frame to bottom frame rail.

Apperantly Kreg also has a jig tool for making cabinet doors. My friend said he would let me borrow that also, so that will make it a lot easier.

While at Home Depot yesterday buying the wood screws, I noticed Kreg has another tool specifically for installing hidden hinges.

I think having doors on the sides also would be a great idea.

I have also seen people on YouTube who installed neodymium magnets to hold up the doors.

That looks interesting.