Recommended contents of aquarium medicine cabinet to have on hand

LyleB

I just getting back into the hobby. I live in a small town with a very limited aquarium supply shop that is usually out of what I need. The closest Petsmart or LFS is a half hour away. The problem is, I work as a Paramedic, and often work multiple 24 hour shifts, so often I cannot leave town for several days at a time.

What meds would you all recommend I keep on hand, in case they are needed immediately? I assume an anti-fungal, and antibiotic. Any suggestions for good broad spectrum choices? Any other suggestions? If Ick rears it's head, I would probably try the natural methods. Any other suggestions?

Cichlidnut

Maracyn 1 and 2 would be good things to have. Try ordering from amazon.com, usually have good prices and fast shipping. I live in a small town as well and order most of my stuff.

Eienna

-Maracyn 1 and 2
-Kanamycin (sometimes under the name of Kanacyn) or Furan-2 for Columnaris (you won't have time to order meds if this strikes so have them handy)
-Tetra Parasite Guard
-Levamisole HCL or Fenbendazole (Levamisole's probably the safer choice) for Camallanus Worms (a dangerous parasite which does not respond to most parasite medications)
-The instructions for the natural treatment of ich you can find in this section of the forum
-Maroxy for true fungal infections (those not treated by the Maracyns)
-Seachem Stress Guard or Kordon Fish Protector for transport and/or wound antiseptic
-Seachem Prime water conditioner.

That's all I can think of right now.

Eienna

And a quarantine tank with filter and some extra media kept in your filter.

ryanr

A kind of similar threads:
Betta food and medicine cabinet shopping list

The Fishkeeper's Warchest

I don't actually keep med's on hand. Please check each med you plan on keeping. Some (not all) have expiration dates/shelf lifes, these should only be purchased if they are needed.

Let's also not forget that a water change should be your first line of treatment. Fresh water can do wonders for a fish that isn't feeling up to par, and can often give you the time needed to get to a store/order meds.

pirahnah3

I agree, I tend to not keep anything on hand medication wise.

Here is my list thou,

Spare 200Watt heater (new) Any older heaters I have are not counted towards the backup.
Backup Older HOB filters just in case.
Fish net bent to hang over the side of a tank if needed for qt or whatever

Honestly, that's all that is in my backup supply. The rest of the equipment or whatever I have is just on an as needed basis. WIth having many tanks running I'm always turning over other supplies so there is always enough to go around and I am watching my levels of supply.

Lucy

I'm with Ryan and pirahnah.
I don't keep meds on hand 'just in case'
They're expensive and may expire before you actually need them.

With that said, I do have some but only because they are left over from previous treatments.

luke355027355027

Also agree with Ryan I haven't had a fish die in months and haven't had a disease since may. I added some new fish and they got ich. Ich can be cured naturally by raising, the water temperature to 82 degrees. Moat medicines are expensive. Once you are done adding fish and plants disease doesn't happen a lot or at least for me

Top Bottom