Recommended An Algae Eater?

JoyToTheFishes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've been reading about different algae eaters for a while now, but feel too intimidated as there are a lot of wrong choices out there depending on tank size, ect.

So, I was hoping some of you seasoned aficionados could give me advice on what is right for my tank. (I sure don't want to rely on pet store recommendations)

My tank is a 20 gallon and I have 8 guppies and only artificial plants.

Any suggestions are super appreciated!

cooperbh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Amano shrimp are hands down the most voracious algae eaters I've seen. And unlike otos, which I also own, they eat every type imaginable. Plus, they count next to nothing against your bioload.

Only downside to them is they are sometimes hard to find.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Amano shrimp are hands down the most voracious algae eaters I've seen. And unlike otos, which I also own, they eat every type imaginable. Plus, they count next to nothing against your bioload.

Only downside to them is they are sometimes hard to find.
Depending on the OP's stock, they may get eaten.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh I see it now... But in the future if they did want to include more fish such as gouramis, then all possibilities are considered.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Amano shrimp should be fine, any gouramis that would eat them are too big for a 20g anyways.

JoyToTheFishes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So, that was a long day going back and forth between stores.. but a day at aquarium stores is always a good day too me!

We went to our local shop and they only had the mysterious, underlabled "algae eaters."
So we had to go into the city to a PetSmart, then the other PetSmart, lol.

I ended up with three oto's and they are absolutely adorable!

I'm attaching a picture of the mystery algae eater for reference purposes.

Wendigoblue

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have zebra nerites, they eat basically any algae (other than hair algae). They're great! My olive nerites do a pretty good job, but they don't do as good of a job as my zebra nerites. Otos are very cute! Good luck!

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Keep in mind that ottos can be a very difficult fish to keep alive. They need a well seasoned tank and even then the mortality rate is rather high. We have ottos in all our tanks and generally expect a 25-50% loss in the first 2 months. The ones that survive live a good long time.

The mortality issue stems from the wild caught fish. The bacteria in their gut that is needed to digest algae dies in transit. So when they finally get to the home aquarium they can eat and eat and be fat and seemingly happy and then die. It is not the fault of the fish keeper. There is more and more success at captive breeding so hopefully the high mortality rate of ottos will soon be a thing of the past.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So, that was a long day going back and forth between stores.. but a day at aquarium stores is always a good day too me!

We went to our local shop and they only had the mysterious, underlabled "algae eaters."
So we had to go into the city to a PetSmart, then the other PetSmart, lol.

I ended up with three oto's and they are absolutely adorable!

I'm attaching a picture of the mystery algae eater for reference purposes.
Your pic isn't showing, if you're having a problem uploading it have a read of this thread
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/how-to-attach-pictures-to-posts.169875/

JoyToTheFishes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ooh, I forgot the picture! Mystery eaters.

Also.. hair algae?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yep CAEs only eat algae when they're young but don't when older. They get aggressive and territorial as they age and grow up to 10". They also eat the slime coats off other fish. Definitely not a community fish. Most fish labelled as "algae eaters" are usually CAEs.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom