Recommended An Algae Eater?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by JoyToTheFishes, Aug 2, 2015.

1. JoyToTheFishesValued MemberMember

I've been reading about different algae eaters for a while now, but feel too intimidated as there are a lot of wrong choices out there depending on tank size, ect.

So, I was hoping some of you seasoned aficionados could give me advice on what is right for my tank. (I sure don't want to rely on pet store recommendations)

My tank is a 20 gallon and I have 8 guppies and only artificial plants.

Any suggestions are super appreciated!

2. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

School of otocinclus is probably your best bet with your tank size.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Otos or nerite snails would work. Or both.

4. cooperbhValued MemberMember

Amano shrimp are hands down the most voracious algae eaters I've seen. And unlike otos, which I also own, they eat every type imaginable. Plus, they count next to nothing against your bioload.

Only downside to them is they are sometimes hard to find.

5. JoyToTheFishesValued MemberMember

Thanks guys, awesome as always!

6. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Depending on the OP's stock, they may get eaten.

7. cooperbhValued MemberMember

My amanos are bigger than most guppies I've seen. I figure they would be pretty safe.

8. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I was thinking more of the gouramis that may see them as prey.

9. cooperbhValued MemberMember

Oh, I didn't see anything about gouramis in the OP. But, yes, that would be another possible downside of amano shrimp.

10. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

The Op's post only mentions 8 guppies in the tank

11. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Oh I see it now... But in the future if they did want to include more fish such as gouramis, then all possibilities are considered.

12. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Amano shrimp should be fine, any gouramis that would eat them are too big for a 20g anyways.

13. JoyToTheFishesValued MemberMember

So, that was a long day going back and forth between stores.. but a day at aquarium stores is always a good day too me!

We went to our local shop and they only had the mysterious, underlabled "algae eaters."
    So we had to go into the city to a PetSmart, then the other PetSmart, lol.

I ended up with three oto's and they are absolutely adorable!

I'm attaching a picture of the mystery algae eater for reference purposes.

14. WendigoblueWell Known MemberMember

I have zebra nerites, they eat basically any algae (other than hair algae). They're great! My olive nerites do a pretty good job, but they don't do as good of a job as my zebra nerites. Otos are very cute! Good luck!

15. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Keep in mind that ottos can be a very difficult fish to keep alive. They need a well seasoned tank and even then the mortality rate is rather high. We have ottos in all our tanks and generally expect a 25-50% loss in the first 2 months. The ones that survive live a good long time.

The mortality issue stems from the wild caught fish. The bacteria in their gut that is needed to digest algae dies in transit. So when they finally get to the home aquarium they can eat and eat and be fat and seemingly happy and then die. It is not the fault of the fish keeper. There is more and more success at captive breeding so hopefully the high mortality rate of ottos will soon be a thing of the past.

16. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Your pic isn't showing, if you're having a problem uploading it have a read of this thread
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/how-do-i/169875-how-attach-pictures-posts.html

17. JoyToTheFishesValued MemberMember

Ooh, I forgot the picture! Mystery eaters.

Also.. hair algae?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  18. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

They're chinese algae eaters, good thing you didn't get them.
    They grow large & get aggressive as they mature

19. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Those I believe are siamese algae eaters or Chinese algae eaters. I have trouble telling them apart.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  20. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yep CAEs only eat algae when they're young but don't when older. They get aggressive and territorial as they age and grow up to 10". They also eat the slime coats off other fish. Definitely not a community fish. Most fish labelled as "algae eaters" are usually CAEs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice