Recommendations on growing out Angelfish fry???

MoshJosh

Valued Member
Reaction score
A friend/fellow fish keeper gave me some angel fry. . . Then like A TON of angel fry. . . Like 50!?!? Right now they are tiny like just started free swimming and are all in my 6.6 gallon. At what size do I need to move them? And what size tank should I grow them out in before they can join the 75 community tank or be traded off/sold to stores?

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've never actually raised angel fry but I would try to get a 50g to raise them in. you can probably do fine in a 30g for a while, but definitely get something larger than a 6.6g.
I would grow them to at least quarter size, but larger the better (and the more money you can get if that's important). To join the community tank... well just make sure they are larger than the other fish's mouths.

I'll let someone with more experience give more detailed info :)

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The bigger the tank the better the water quality and the more frequently you can feed and the faster they will grow. If you can get and accommodate a 50-55 awesome, I'd personally do a 40 breeder at least.

MoshJosh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have an extra 29 gallon and 55 gallon I could use but might grab a 40 breeder on Friday if petco is still doing the dollar per gallon sale

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah I have an extra 29 gallon and 55 gallon I could use but might grab a 40 breeder on Friday if petco is still doing the dollar per gallon sale
The 55g would be perfect for them :)

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would not move them from the small tank until they have the shape of an angelfish. Usually that's about 1/8 of an inch. At that size they will be more capable of swimming and pursuing/foraging for food. If you put them into too large a tank, they will have trouble finding enough food. The limited space of the small tank keeps the food closer to the fry. In the small tank, however, you will need to do massive water changes at least daily. At the 1/8 inch size, I would move them to the 29, and continue to do frequent water changes with every feeding. I would not move them to the 55 before dime body size. Water changes are more important than water volume.

!poogs!

Valued Member
Reaction score
Great question.

I breed angel fish and the answer is lots of different size tanks.

I start with a 1 gallon jar to hatch eggs.

When they are wigglers up until free swimming, they are in a one gallon breeding jar submersed in a 10 gallon tank. Reason, its a lot easier to feed them in a one gallon jar vs a 10 gallon aquarium, but the 10 gallon aquarium is easy to keep water quality. Always a bare bottom tank.

After about a month they go from the jar to the 10 gallon tank. They stay in the 10 gallon tank until their ventral fins develop. Then they go into a 20 gallon tank sanded bottom.

When they are the size of dime I move the to a 50 gallon tank. With other angels in various stages of growth. When they are about the size of the bottom of a can of pop can, they go to the fish store.

If you put fry that just started swimming in a large tank thats not bare bottom, there will be lots of casualties.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom