Recommendations On Co2 Reactor, 75g Freshwater

Bbunkie01

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hello, all.

Currently using a Nilocg Inline Diffuser on a Fluval 406. Densely planted 75g with the following plant load:

Anacharis, Dwarf Four Leaf Clovers, Moneywort, Ludwigia SP Red, Water Sprite, Vals, Swords, Anubias Nana, Anubias Gigantea, Hygrophila Lancea, Ludwigia Ovalis, and a single Dwarf Lily.

I have a Doublesun Regulator on a 5lb tank, and I feel like I’m just not getting efficient CO2 concentration in the water column. Would say the plants have shown some moderate growth, all around, but nothing super impressive outside of the anacharis.

Also running into some major diatom algae, green dust algae, and even some BBA on the anubias gigantea.

Lighting situation:

Two 48inch Finnex 24/7 CC set to max light on a 7 hour timer.

I have the CO2 on a seven hour timer, as well. Kicks on two hours before lights.

The biggest issue I’m running into is BPS consistency, which seems to be gated by the inline atomizer. When the CO2 kicks on, BPS is like a stream, very fast for the first 30 seconds. Then it slows to a crawl, sub 1 BPS.

It takes upwards to 2-3 hours for the BPS to really open up again. I’m assuming this is because of the atomizer? It does slowly fill with water overnight. I’m assuming it needs a couple hours to drain water and really open up the ceramic pores.

This causes a lot of issues with fluctuating CO2 levels, obviously. Is this a regulator issue? The Doublesun is no GLA, but it seems to work fine. I previously had a run of the mill in-tank glass diffusor and the BPS was very consistent. It wasn’t until I added the inline atomizer that I started getting these wild swings in BPS.

Not sure what to do here. I know a 75g is a lot of water to saturate with CO2, and I’m thinking a reactor may be the best solution.

Thoughts?

Edit: forgot to add dosing regiment: EI with ThriveS three times per week. I’m planning on switching to dry ferts, though. Sticking with EI method.

Last edited:

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tough 1. I like the idea of a reactor that will not fill the tank with micro bubbles. I have the maxmix reactor. It was only 15-20 bucks. Problem is it pushes out micro bubbles in my 125. Most likely because it's too big of a tank for that. It may work nice in a 75 gallon though.

Bbunkie01

Valued Member
Reaction score
Tough 1. I like the idea of a reactor that will not fill the tank with micro bubbles. I have the maxmix reactor. It was only 15-20 bucks. Problem is it pushes out micro bubbles in my 125. Most likely because it's too big of a tank for that. It may work nice in a 75 gallon though.
The more I think about this and consult others, it actually seems to be a lighting issue. Photo period is very reasonable, but those Finnex LEDs put out 60 PAR at substrate at my tank depth. That’s pretty high lighting for what amounts to an Iwagumi style aquascape. Probably too high.

Moreover, I did move around a moss tree, and what do you know? No algae whatsoever on the sand directly shaded by the tree. Seems to indicate a lighting problem, right?

I’ve tweaked my CO2 to output a more consistent BPS (for now). If the algae doesn’t show marked improvement in a week, I’m going to put both Finnex lights at 80% intensity. That should knock down the substrate PAR to 40 or so, which is much more manageable.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom